Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You didn't listen to instructions, did you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You didn't listen to instructions, did you?

My company is upgrading it's protective software from several different ones to one centralized program (Symantec Endpoint Protection, or something like that).

Emails go out to everyone set up for this upgrade and give straight forward instructions on what to expect. They state it will take 15-30 minutes to install and involve several reboots (3-5). They are not to log in during this process and should wait until the CTRL-ALT-DEL screen is up for over 2 minutes.

I just had someone come in. Yesterday, while he was working, some installer ran and started to reboot her computer. After it rebooted, she'd log in and it would reboot again. She then got a BSOD (no minidump, BTW) and it kept rebooting and freezing during this time.

Sure enough, she completely f-ed up the SEP installation so now I have to sit here and rebuild it and reinstall it from scratch.

I told her about the SEP migration and that is probably what was happening. She paused for a second and then said "well, I KNOW what that was and this wasn't it".

Sure, and you plugged directly into our AD domain and it started just at the same time you said you had all of your problems.

Edit: And she's blaming iton a virus. Sure. 99.99% of the time you only get a virus by doing things you aren't supposed to do.
    Last edited by draggar; 10-31-2008, 01:55 PM.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Why I'm always in favor of a very effective means of ensuring it runs smoothly by making sure they cannot touch anything.

Either locking them up in a room with no computer or tying them up. Both works.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

That is a great suggestion but I support over 400 users spread out over 4 counties and it is a staggered push to sevesl thousand employees (over 10,000) over the next few weeks with no easy way for me of knowing who is getting it when.
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

"Well, Ma'am, if it's a virus, it means you infected the computer yourself. Thus, you will be charged $XXX to clean it. However, if you screwed up the installer, you will not be charged, but I reserve the right to call you a blithering idiot. Make your choice."
        Last edited by technical.angel; 11-04-2008, 02:33 PM.
        SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
        SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
          "Well, Ma'am, if it's a virus, it means you infected the computer yourself. Thus, you will be charged $XXX to clean it. However, if you screwed up the installer, you will not be charged, but I reserve the right to call you a blithering idiot. Make you choice."
          Oh, I likey. I just wish you'd ask before taking things out of my mind.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
          X