X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The one time we were right...

...and the management backed down liked subdued jackals

At the time we had a user who was having a persistent problem with her machine, it had been back to us a dozen times and each time was "No Fault Found" (although I think the engineers just starting throwing random new parts into it after the first 3 or 4 times).
    The customer eventually went to Watchdog (a UK consumer show) to complain about the company and there was a hit piece soon after, eventually one of our engineers got sent out (our on-site was sub contracted and they were trained chimps, they'd only replace what they were told to) to rectify the issue - he found the problem within ten minutes and it wasn't the computer, but management still folded - not even a "Customer was an idiot" letter to Watchdog. Only three and a half strikes but they're all doozies.

1)The customer was using a personal PC to run a small business so was getting extra stroppy because of the lost income - we had business computers, not that much more expensive, considering, with better support.

2) The second that the PC was back at the customers house she'd Ghost a version of NT onto the system (we supplied it with Win '95), so non-supported OS.

3) HER FREAKIN' IMAGE WAS BORKED!!. She'd taken the image when NT was playing silly bastards so whenever she put it back on the exact same problem reoccurred

1/2) She never told us on the phone that she'd installed NT (we weren't trained on it). Don't exactly remember this bit but we should have spotted that it wasn't a '95 install, unless she was lying to us or had run a full OS restore.

So, running a business from a 'personal' computer, unsupported OS that was busted and our directors didn't even send in an "Errrmmm, you may want to look at why it's gone wrong" letter.

Spineless freaks
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

I used to love Watchdog until I started working retail. About then I saw the real side of humanity and EWism.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
      I used to love Watchdog until I started working retail. About then I saw the real side of humanity and EWism.

Rapscallion

I gave up on them before I hot retail, it was the Pop Tarts debacle* that did it for me.

*They went after Kellogs because a prime example of fuckwittery demanded a warning on the box after burning his mouth on the molten jammy filling
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

*They went after Kellogs because a prime example of fuckwittery demanded a warning on the box after burning his mouth on the molten jammy filling
        Wow. Just, wow.
        Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth Naaman View Post
          I thought it was they ended up banning all but the strawberry kind and warning not to let the pastries hit you in the forehead coming out of the toaster?
          "If you find yourself fantasizing about throwing actual users into a blender, please get help... they're heavy." - Tom Dickson

Comment

Quoth Naaman View Post
            Hee! Enjoy...
            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
              Hee! Enjoy...
              LOL - almost as good as the PJ O Rourke "Bachelors guide" book to paraphrase "Don't put a steak sandwich in the toaster - the fire brigade will turn up EVERY TIME"

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                Hee! Enjoy...
                Seen it before . . . classic.

Almost as funny as the time my Mom called the fire department because the freezer was smoking. Turned out a chicken pot pie box had gotten too close to an uncovered coil in the back and a hole got burned through the box.

I don't think those genuises at MIT could top that.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                X