This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tech support for Mom

My mom has this strange affect of electronics lately.

I gave her my old computer for Christmas last year (it was maybe 2 years old). It worked EXCELLENT when I gave it to her.

She runs dial up. I know, the nerve. Specially for a computer built for cable or higher. Well, it dials out but runs very SLOOWW. I know, dial up is slow lady! She said her old computer ran at at least "40", and this one runs at "16". I am guessing she meant uploading & download rate over the internet.

So many months pass before my boyfriend and I are able to make a trip to see her (does not live in my area). We get it going at "40" by turning off the automatic updates I had running when I was on cable. Super, it's fix. NOT

We get home & my mom calls me right away saying it's going slow again. My boyfriend and I are at our wits end. There has to be something she is doing to it or downloading that is causing it to go slow!! We give up.

Couple days later she calls me & said she spent $140 to get the computer tech support updated. Then (this shall NOT spur discussion about out-sourcing, because it's meant to be cute!) she tells me that she got it fixed. And she did something I am embarassed to say she did, but she asked the person, "Excuse, I am sorry, but where am I calling?" It was, indeed, India. I was like, "Mom! You never ask that! No matter what! It's rude!" She told me she didn't know but she was curious. lol At least it was fixed. What she was doing, I have no idea.

At first I thought perhaps the modem was bad since I had never used it myself, but we got it working. Or that her phone line was fried (it runs from outside to in, don't ask). She hasn't had a problem since.

Fast forward to last month. My mom's cell phone was taken by my older brother when he moved to Wyoming. So, she asked if I could upgade my plan to a family plan. I told her sure. By chance it was time for me to upgrade my phone, so I did that & had my old phone programed to a new number.

Now my old phone was pretty nice. So I bring that to her, and it's working great. Couple days later she says she is getting a strange error message (but the phone is working). She gives me the number, and I ask if it just said error #? She says, no, it said more. (urg) I told her next time she saw it to please write it all down so she can tell me. She said she would. I told her I used to get an error message when a button was hit & there was no music to play on it. She said it had nothing to do with the message she got.

She never got back to me even though she said she got the message again. I wanna guess it was the empty music player message. GRRR I was gonna look it up on the site or call tech support to get it fixed but she is stubborn.

What is with my mom & electronics lately? lol
    When it comes to getting things done, we need fewer architects and more bricklayers. ---Colleen C. Barrett---

Eh? I didn't consider it particularly rude if someone asked where I was located, when I was doing tech support, and it was quite common. No one I knew really complained about it, to me at least.

Well, unless they did it in an accusatory way, in which case depending on whether I liked the caller or not, I'd lay on my faux-Indian accent or amp up my drawl.

Either one would shut 'em up quick.
    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

For the most part my family refuses to listen to me when it comes to computers, even though *I* am the one who has spent most her adult life working on them and builds them for fun.
      Now that I sold my little brother my gaming tower(I moved over seas with 2 suitcases and a laptop to my name, I have the chance of buying it back if I ever move back to the mainland) and gave my mother administrative privledges. Now I get calls when the computer does something it shouldn't. Like those trojans that install themselves after the "your computer is infected! go here to fix it!"
      That's wh my brother doesn't have admin privledges. He only knows how to game and thinks he knows computers, but is stupid enough to click those windows.
      10 min on the phone walking mom through updating the antivirus program I've used for years and never had a virus stick around and done!
      (I think if mom ever gets comfortable using a PC she'll stop calling me and try to fix it on her own. She's a Mac kinda lady.)

Comment

Working...
      X