Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You think he would have learned by now?

One of my users has had THREE hard drives go out on him - each time he loses a lot of important things (PST files, documents etc..).

Each time I tell him he should get a USB drive to keep his important documents on so he won't lose him.

His HDD now crashed again - its not even being seen by the BIOS. Do you think he's bought a USB drive yet?
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

I just laid out about $150 for a 1.5 terabyte HDD, and use it to back up both my laptops.

Mainly because I also wanted to put my music/ebook/lolcat collection and firefox/thunderbird on both laptops so no matter which one I grab it is the same=)

You know, I can remember back in the dark ages when the first 1 gig hdd rolled onto the market at a cool $1000, I mentioned that I would love to have one and was resoundingly laughed at in my favorite computer store ... they were amazed when I laid out the $$ for the 500 mb hdd for my amiga ....

I can remember those days, now my cell phone has more than 1 gig space of storage and cost a hell of a lot less for the entire thing
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

What the heck is he DOING to the poor things? Honestly, I say it's time to give him the foolproof backup (ie: a pencil, eraser and paper)
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I just laid out about $150 for a 1.5 terabyte HDD, and use it to back up both my laptops.
        ooo price has gone real down on them then. i remember when 1TB was like $300

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
          ooo price has gone real down on them then. i remember when 1TB was like $300
          I picked up a 1tb drive just after getting my Macbook for around $135. It replaced my 500gb that was attached to my desktop and after transferring all the data from one to the other, got reformatted for backing up the Mac.

With prices like this, I cannot understand why people don't use them.

Eric the Grey
          In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

My first HD was a 40 Meg.

I was thrilled to get it for $250.

I get Gig memory cards for $15 now.

<sigh> I'm old.

Now get off my lawn!

B
            "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
            I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

You're not old... I remember paying $290 for 16 of RAM... 16K...
              $3495 for an 8M hard disk
              $495 for a 90K floppy drive

At work circa 1974: $25-35 for 256bit static RAM ($1 per byte!)
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                Do you think he's bought a USB drive yet?

Ooh! Ooo. Pick me, pick me, I know - I know the answer to this.

Comment

Quoth Bandit View Post
                  My first HD was a 40 Meg.

I was thrilled to get it for $250.

I get Gig memory cards for $15 now.

<sigh> I'm old.

Now get off my lawn!

B
                  I have memories of selling the Amstrad PC's here in the UK with either a 10meg or 20meg Hard drive, people would buy the 10meg because they never expected to fill it and need the larger size, how times have changed!!!!
                  Robert
                  Peterborough Cambridgeshire

Comment

USB drives aren't infallible either. Neither are SSD's.

With all important data you need to back it up in several different places. I don't care what media you're using to store the data on, you still need more than a single copy.

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
                      USB drives aren't infallible either. Neither are SSD's.
                      I don't believe he was advocating using a USB drive as the sole means of storage, but as that second copy you're advocating.
                      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                        I don't believe he was advocating using a USB drive as the sole means of storage, but as that second copy you're advocating.
                        I use a USB 640M for back and I just bought a 1T for most of my video and audio files. I will have LOTS of video and audio file cause I am going through all my old VHS and audio cassettes and dumping them to digital have lots of CD's and DVD's on hand for "hard"backups
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                          I will have LOTS of video and audio file cause I am going through all my old VHS and audio cassettes and dumping them to digital
                          Hey Racket_Man - I'm gearing up to take all my old MST3K tapes to digital. Would you mind PM'ing me (Or here if Draggar doesn't mind the threadjack.) what process/equipment you used? I've started researching but it's always nice to have some interaction with someone who's done it.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                            Hey Racket_Man - I'm gearing up to take all my old MST3K tapes to digital. Would you mind PM'ing me (Or here if Draggar doesn't mind the threadjack.) what process/equipment you used? I've started researching but it's always nice to have some interaction with someone who's done it.

PM sent with details. for me it is all of the Dr. Who episodes I taped off of PBS years ago.
                            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
                            X