This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Math Genius

I work at a call center that provides tech support for a number of websites. The one mentioned in this tale is basically an online postbox, to which various Danish companies and public institutions will send their mail to you as an electronic document instead of an old-fashioned letter.

One feature of this site is that the users can upload their own files and save them on our protected servers. Every user gets 1 MB of free storage space for their own files, and if you want more than that, you have to buy extra space. (Documents you receive are stored for free, we're not that bad. )

It's been a while since I got this particular call, but I'll try to remember it to the best of my ability.

Me: Sitename Support, this is Xar. How may I help you?
    SC: Yeah, hi. I'm trying to upload a file to this thing, and it won't work.
    Me: Okay, sir. Have you checked that the size of the file doesn't exceed the amount of storage space you have left?
    SC: (sounding more than vaguely insulted) Yes, yes, of course.
    Me: All right. If I can ask you to provide me with some basic information about your system, I'll see if I can't help you resolve this.

[I go through our usual spiel. I get his OS, his browser version, service packs... You get the idea. Restart browser, don't use a shortcut, try again, no dice.]

Me: May I ask you what size of file you're trying to upload, sir?
    SC: I told you, I have enough space for it!

[By now I'm getting suspiscious. If he won't answer my questions, it usually means that he's starting to realize that he can't get it to work due to sheer stupidity, and of course he's trying to cover that up.]

Me: Yes sir, but that wasn't what I asked. Can you please tell me what size file you're trying to upload?
    SC: Fine! It's 2 MB!
    Me: And how big an amount of extra storage space have you purchased?
    SC: Purchased?! You provide storage space for free!
    Me: We only provide 1 MB of free storage space, sir. If you wish to upload more than that amount of data I'm going to have to ask to you to buy extra storage space.
    SC: (now yelling) I'M NOT! I SAID 2 G****** MB! tHAT'S ONLY HALF OF THE SPACE YOU PROVIDE FOR FREE! GET THAT INTO YOUR THICK SKULL!

*click*

Me: ...

Because as we all know, 1+1 is 4, right?

Thank god this guy was a one in a million caller.
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Whoever said that "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.

Ouch. These kinds of SC are very common, sadly.

Oh, and welcome to CS
    Things just get so crazy living life gets hard to do. I would gladly hit the road, get up and go if I knew,that someday it would bring me back to you.

Comment

Why do I picture all his math teachers getting fired for letting him pass despite him not knowing that 2 is greater than 1?

(oh, and hello again everyone. I've been around, just lurking)
      Desk-On: Apply directly to the forehead.

Comment

Working...
      X