This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfair selling practices at Bellsouth

I worked for a Bellsouth for twelve years in Florida. Seven of those were spent in consumer services. Four of those years my place was called customer service, and we mainly did changes to accounts when customers requested, or most of the time, helping customers understand their phone bill. In all that time, we had managers who stressed sales but never really stressed it like they did in my last couple of years there.

After four years, our office closed and we had to relocate 30 miles away, that is, if you wanted to stay employed. The new office was no longer called customer service, it was called sales and support. We handled billing most of the time with the incoming calls, but management there made it hellish. All they cared about was selling and how much you sold, not how great the customer service was that you provided. If you did not make your eighty-five percent mark for sales, you were written up, and it would continue until you were fired. A year after this, the goal was ninety-five percent, so anyone that was doing eighty-five to ninety-four had something new to worry about.

Not only are sales more important than the type of customer service you provide, but your well being is the least important to management. In January 2005, the office had a bomb scare, so everyone was ordered to evacuate the building. Within fifteen minutes, the managers, not the police and fire department, were ordering everyone to get back to their desks immediately. The reason? It was because our sales were hurting with us not being on the phones! I could not believe it. It was more important to sell and possibly be blown to bits than for us to be certain that there was no danger in the building. Management thought they had the authority over the authorities! In all of this, management also somehow persuaded the police to allow us back into the building before the threat was over.

Another great example would be the hurricane issues in Florida. Each time one has approached or looked like it was approaching, management would force employees to stay at work instead of allowing them to go home and make preparations. Those poor people would have to call in sick without pay, or stay and be worried about their homes when the hurricane struck. It was no problem for the managers though. They were allowed to come and go as they pleased for all of this. And then afterward, there was no sympathy for those who could not make it to work or had to stay home to deal with the damage. Again, sales were more important than the well being of the employees.

Forced overtime was and still is a big concern. Employees scheduled to work 8-430 were actually being forced to work 8am to 7pm each day of the week, and if they did not, they were given discliplinary action. Never mind there were those with children that had to get them dropped off at school or picked up from daycare. Again, your sales were more important than that. But, the managers were not the ones who had to sit all day long on the phones and deal with the crap from consumers. They got to go home each day on time and be with their loved ones. The rest of us could not do that for fear of losing our jobs over it.

With all of these threats and stories, sometimes you can see why customers have a hard time canceling a service or making a change. The reps are under extreme pressure and are threatened to sell and/or retain a product, or they will be out on the streets. This angers the customer immensely, yet the companies like Bellsouth don't care about that. As long as money was made on the call, managers consider that a great call.

It's time for the consumer and former employee to fight back. Publish those complaints on the internet. That's what it's for. Maybe once companies see this type of thing, they'll think twice.
    Last edited by greensinestro; 11-14-2006, 10:52 AM. Reason: Spelling errors corrected

The only consolation in all of this is that the Big Bells are in trouble. For so long they held local monopolies and could get away with ticking off the customer base. Heck, where were they going to go? Now cell phones and VOIP services are in serious competition price-wise, and the Bells are going to have to play pall if they want to keep a decent customer base. Things could get really interesting with Google's announcement that they will be looking into providing cell service in return for watching some advertising. It would not be free, but likely in the range of, say, a newspaper. It should be interesting to see who adapts in the coming years.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Sounds just like one of my old employers. We were a furniture company. Now out of business, because of the greedy owner. But anyway, we made great furniture, but most of the time, we were all being pushed, and pushed and pushed, by the supervisors. Just so that they would receive their bonuses.
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

I know the feeling... we're transistioning to new owners, and the wholes sales philosophy has changed.

Old company: Sales weren't in the job description, and we didn't have to sell anything (unless, of course, the customer called in to get an upgrade). It wasn't a point on monitorings, and it wasn't tracked for reviews and evaluations. However, the company offered hefty commissions if we did sell... so most of us did. I didn't even do a lot, but I was still making $200 to $300 a check in commissions alone. The ones who really worked at it were making more in commissions than their regular pay.

New company: We have sales quotas that are tracked relentlessly. Every customer service call requires that we try to sell something, no matter how bizarre it makes us sound: "You've been cut off for non-payment. When you finally pay your bill, keep in mind that you'll be eligible to upgrade to our digital service at our low monthly cost." Meanwhile, commissions have been greatly reduced. A sale that once brought $12 now makes $2.

Morale is plunging in customer service. The people who don't like to sell are constantly being badgered about it. The people who do like aren't making nearly the money they used to. Even the managers aren't happy because they're under pressure from above to somehow motivate all their employees to make quotas.

Fortunately for me, I was able to bail to another department that doesn't have the same pressure, but I feel bad for the people I used to work with.

It's too bad: I really like the company I work for, and they do so many things right.
        I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

It's truly sad when companies like that get to such a point - where welfare and morale are thrown out of the window in favour of the almighty dollar. They keep expanding and getting bigger without stabilizing what they already have, and soon there are too many products to support, and the company slowly collapses under it's own weight.

Meanwhile, the employees suffer - not only morale-wise but also health-wise, both physically and mentally. At one place, I even saw people get carried out on stretchers and heard of others committing suicide over the stress.

It's one thing to be ambitious, but yet another to put corporate greed over employee welfare.
          Who is this rectal-cranial inverted twit....and where is my sledgehammer??

Comment

Some managers seem to think that they are superior to the lower workers, yet they blindly go for short term gain and to hell with long term performane. Places that become like that fizzle rather quickly in the scope of things. Sad because if they would pull their heads out of the sand they would see that they have more to gain by going for the long term. Instead, they cut off the branch they are sitting on.

I had one mamager like that. Lucky me I was laid off and found better work. He was soon out on his ear as well when his ideas made things worse and they had to cut jobs.
            "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Working...
            X