This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "magic" disc

Yet again another day at the hell I refer to as "work".

A young lad trundles into my shop (loaded with blingy bits & electronic shiny things) & hauls out his beloved Dell laptop. He describes his sad state, his lovely laptop won't "run". I, of course, pelt him with you usual barrage of questions & finally figure out that it will in fact turn on, just that his OS won't load.

He opens up his prized shiny to reveal a truly bashed up, keys missing, electrical tape & glue job power adapter piece of sh*t. Of course, the battery doesn't work & I have to wait for this git to figure out how to untangle a cord (took 5 minutes).

We finally get some power into it...Turn it on...wait....Hmmm.....Black screen with only to see a blank screen & mouse cursor.....Reboot to safe mode.....wait....wait...

Same crap........

My young friend asks if I have a "disc" that I can put in to make it go faster. This of course causes me to raise an eyebrow & retort "Buddy, if I had a magic disc to make this piece of crap work faster, & not waste my time, it would've been in the machine already".

I tell my sadly misinformed lad that there may be some sort of virii/malware at hand & rattle off the repair prices to our young hero.

Of course I must be hiding this "magic disc of fix all"

He does not like my diagnosis & moves his sad laptop 15 feet over to another counter & proceeds to ask my younger ( AND MUCH LESS EXPERIENCED) counterpart the same questions. not 30 seconds later, my co-worker asks me "Ummm...don't you think it's virused?"

I just smile. Then I reply back with repair costs that just went up %50.

No magic disc.....Go away.

The time traveler....

Young gent has bluray optical drive in for RMA. same gent has no contact phone #. Same gent checks in daily regarding his RMA.

Gent: (Butting in whilst I'm busy) Hey...fedex drops of here at about 12 or 1 pm right?
    Me: Yup...........What time is it now?
    Gent: Ummm....11:18 am
    Me: You fail....Try again tomorrow. Go away till later.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

IF there really was such a thing as a "magic disc' that could instantly fix any computer problem then it would have put Microsoft out of business years ago.

Comment

Naw, microsift would just have shot anyone that knew even some of the code, incinerate any traces of the code, and bought space on the shuttle to eject it into the sun.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

There is a 'magic' disk

In my case, until the company went under BeOS solved it all, but until Haiku is ready for the masses - the 'magic' disk is called Linux Installer.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
          IF there really was such a thing as a "magic disc' that could instantly fix any computer problem then it would have put Microsoft out of business years ago.

SystemRescueCD does a pretty good impression of one. Or if not magic (if you can't POST you're still screwed) then at least providing a set of tools all in one spot, booting off the cd and not the HDD.

/Of course linux being linux, and the tools coming from various sources, not all of them are easy to use
          //Loves gPartd however. After years of dealing with Partition Magic and *shudder* fdisk
          Last edited by MrSmiley; 05-25-2009, 09:37 PM. Reason: gPartd link
          Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

The magic disc of fixing... An Ubuntu LiveDisc.

If he installs Ubuntu, he won't have to worry about Windows anymore lol

He'll just have a whole new set of worries dealing with Ubuntu OS..

lolz
            Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Working...
            X