This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you really want to admit that?

Maybe this should also go in Rules for Tech Support.

First, some backstory: My stepfather's aging Dell Northwood box (that poor, poor Northie...maybe I can revive it) is unrecoverable, so he bought a Compaq. Compaq is actually fairly good as far as OEMs go; I've had good luck with supporting them, anyway.

So, he drops it off at my place, I set up Windows and slap in the RAM and second harddrive from the Dell (both which were fairly recent additions before the Dell started to die). All seems well. I wasn't able to do anything requiring an internet connection as my router was on the blink, and I didn't want Windows to be expecting my connection.

I get an email over the holiday...the new trial version of MS Office won't open any of his old documents. Not that surprising, as the previous program he was using is about 7 years old.

Then he proceeds to tell me that the version of Office he was using before (as well as, I'm guessing, most of the other apps on the Dell) is a pirated/cracked copy.

Oops.

Don't admit that to the person you expect support from. And definitely do not ask if I can give you a program key (even if I did use MS Office, I'm not putting my neck on the line because you're too cheap to pay for a legit version).

I point him toward OpenOffice and that's that. I hope. OO is a tad counterintuitive when it comes to saving files...you have to click "No" on saving to retain the original file format (or something like that).

Maybe he'll do a nice self-LART regarding that quirk. If I have to go over there, he gets the lecture about pirated software anyway.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Do you have ANY idea how many times I'm asked for that? Product keys for windows/office, OEM versions (from a major retail store with no custom build facility, HA!) And the reason is always the same: pirated copy. And they want me to "give them a deal because they're such good customers."

One time I asked "If your such a good customer to my department, why are you running illegal copies of product we sell?"

Never got in trouble either.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I KNEW I read this story before! Did you cut-and-paste this from or to TSC?

Nice to find a fellow TSC'er in other lands!
      I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

From TSC SCs know no bounds, it seems...that or I have an idiot attractor on me.

As it turns out, the guy who set the previous computer up for him (and likely installed said software) is someone I may be working for...meep. Hardware support only, if all goes well.

Oh well. The Dell's primary drive is now mine, so no more cracked apps for him...I did say I'd try to get some documents off of it, but that's all I'm touching on it (he never said this, but methinks there was an unspoken "can you restore my cracked copy of Office?" somewhere in the request).
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
        X