X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh...say what?

One of my previous bosses uttered this gem:

"Can you please schedule server failures for more convenient times?"

When he said that, the stupidity made me see stars! I mean, servers sometimes fail...usually at the worst possible time. There's not much I can do about it! In a perfect world, the server wouldn't overload, nor would the damn data on it get corrupted.
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Quoth protege View Post
    One of my previous bosses uttered this gem:

"Can you please schedule server failures for more convenient times?"

When he said that, the stupidity made me see stars! I mean, servers sometimes fail...usually at the worst possible time. There's not much I can do about it! In a perfect world, the server wouldn't overload, nor would the damn data on it get corrupted.
    And there are people who say Dilbert is fiction . Something very similar happened to him in January 1997 (sorry I couldn't find this online to supply a link, but it's in the 12th book, Journey to Cubeville). PHB wanted advance notice of unplanned outages.
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

We get that in the cable industry too. There's planned outages, and unplanned outages. Often in the callcenter we don't know of any overnight planned outage till just before the local area starts it, around midnight.
      Unplanned outages is a whole different breed. "No, I don't have an ETA, it'll be repaired when they find the problem and have it fixed. I don't know why or what caused it to go down, it's just down. Now go read a book." Also, "Can I expect this type of service, or can I expect this type of service in my area?" ME: "I don't know, I'm no more a psychic than you are, and of course we do strive to have something mess up atleast once a week, just for fun."

Quoth Seanette View Post
      And there are people who say Dilbert is fiction . Something very similar happened to him in January 1997 (sorry I couldn't find this online to supply a link, but it's in the 12th book, Journey to Cubeville). PHB wanted advance notice of unplanned outages.

Comment

Quoth BravoOrig View Post
        Unplanned outages is a whole different breed. "No, I don't have an ETA, it'll be repaired when they find the problem and have it fixed. I don't know why or what caused it to go down, it's just down.
        I had to deal with that alot. Usually after the server would fail, I'd get a million people bugging me about it. Rather than simply let me do my tests--they wanted things back up and running instantly. Uh, it doesn't work that way! I'm sure I can figure out what's wrong, but I'd rather run the various tests to be sure. There was quite a bit of data on that server, and losing it would mean we'd be out of business

The main problem with the server, is that it simply couldn't handle the load put upon it. It was designed for a maximum of 6-8 users...but once the company started expanding, it would overheat from the load!

Fixing that was easy--just unbolt the server cabinet side panels. That worked for awhile...until both hard drives failed You can imagine the complaints about that! But, at least I was able to save the data, and and moved it to a much better server
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

When I was in college, the network would go down, religiously, during finals week. Twice a year, we'd be up and down.

Oh, the students loved IT. Since this was before the popularity of jump drives, and none of them would think to save things to a floppy.

The uni I would at is much better. I think we separate student traffic from everything else better. Plus, there's a couple hundred less students here.

Jenni
          SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
          SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post

(No, I don't have the entire Dilbert archive on my hard drive. Why do you ask?)

Comment

Muchas gracias, Mac.
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Our machine *BROKE* the other day. Hard down. Beginning of December... you know, right at the bottom of the holiday sales ramp.

My manager was not too pleased. And she kept letting me know about it. Every 4 hours or so.

First off, do not mistake the fact that I am capable of remaining calm in a crisis (and that you are not) as me not caring.

And secondly, well, gee, lady. I wish I could give you some good news, but we don't know what's wrong (our tech took half the machine completely apart and put it back together looking for something... ANYTHING... that was causing the problem we were having), we don't know what will fix it, and we certainly don't know when it's going to be running again. Be happy that we are doing EVERYTHING that we can to fix it, and as soon as it is humanly possible to get the machine back up and running, that is when it will be.
                "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
                -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

Working...
                X