This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tap, Tap, Tap...

All right I work fork for a certain web site support for a particular network which involves so very very basic technical support as a result we get a lot of very basic questions. Of course this makes for a lot of dumb questions in large bulk but nothing could prepare me for this.

It was a fairly standard call, some guy forgot his member name and password, nothing unusual. But when I requested him to log in I got more then I expect.

Me: Please click on the <log in tab> and wait for the box to pop up once you do there will be a place to enter your member name there.

C: <says nothing for a long period of time but I here a faint tapping noise in the background.>

Me: Sir? Is everything working all right?

C: It's not doing anything. <Hear faster tapping...>

Now at this point I couldn't figure out what the heck he was doing. Suddenly, I felt compelled to ask...

Me: Sir? Are you tapping your monitor?

C: Yea, you mean this isn't like my cell phone? And here I thought my screen was broken.

Me: Sir, use the mouse... please...

No one could possible be that ignorant, please not let it be so, my poor brain can't take it.

Quoth Draginhikari View Post
    Me: Sir? Are you tapping your monitor?

C: Yea, you mean this isn't like my cell phone? And here I thought my screen was broken.

Me: Sir, use the mouse... please...

No one could possible be that ignorant, please not let it be so, my poor brain can't take it.
    I feel for you. It's going to get worse. I have heard that the upcoming Windows 7 release is designed for touch screen computers. Soon all the lusers will be thinking that every computer is a touch screen computer.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Should we really shatter his fragile perceptions?
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
        Yes, yes, he's over ten posts. I do believe it's time to break him.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          Yes, yes, he's over ten posts. I do believe it's time to break him.
          There is no Santa Claus. Nor Easter Bunny.

Bun-Bun snuffed both of them.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
            There is no Santa Claus. Nor Easter Bunny.

Bun-Bun snuffed both of them.
            Pfft. The terrasque could take that loser out.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Leave me to my fragile perceptions they keep me sane.

Comment

Leave me to my fragile perceptions they keep me sane.
                Pfft! Sanity's overrated. Insanity is SO much more FUN!
                I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                  Pfft. The terrasque could take that loser out.
                  I'll see your tarrasque and raise you one gazebo.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    I'll see your tarrasque
                    err... no... I MEANT the terrasque. That's right... It's a larger... meaner... version. Like, the tarrasque's big brother or something... Yeah.

And I'll see your gazebo and raise you a head of Vecna.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                      I feel for you. It's going to get worse. I have heard that the upcoming Windows 7 release is designed for touch screen computers. Soon all the lusers will be thinking that every computer is a touch screen computer.
                      Actually I predicted that most people would be using touchscreen monitors regularly by now. Once I started seeing them appear in POS situations around 1996 or so. Guess I was wrong. Strange too, since drivers are available for the products that exist. I guess there's just enough added cost to that capability to make it unattractive when buying a flatscreen or CRT. Even so, I'm a bit surprised that they haven't snuck more into the computer world as a "almost every computer has this", like the soundcard (or more likely these days, integrated soundcard on the motherboard) has. Maybe the people who need them just go up a level and buy a SmartBoard instead.

On an unrelated note, I have to Windex the monitors at work often, seems a lot of folks (including me if my fingerprints are any indication) think that we have touchscreens too.
                      Last edited by MrSmiley; 09-08-2009, 10:49 AM.
                      Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                        err... no... I MEANT the terrasque. That's right... It's a larger... meaner... version. Like, the tarrasque's big brother or something... Yeah.
                        You know it's gonna be a loooong night when your GM pipes up with "...And then the tarrasque's big brother shows up...". One GM I had was playing around with the notion of a demiplane full of tarrasques (he never actually implemented it). When we brought up the obvious issues with that, he invoked Rule Zero.

Bastard.
                        --------------

Yeah, price could definitely be an issue. For one of the things we sell (part of a package), the "standard LCD monitor" option costs about $150-200 LESS than the "touchscreen LCD monitor that's noticeably smaller" option.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          You know it's gonna be a loooong night when your GM pipes up with "...And then the tarrasque's big brother shows up...". One GM I had was playing around with the notion of a demiplane full of tarrasques (he never actually implemented it). When we brought up the obvious issues with that, he invoked Rule Zero.
                          We actually found out a way to reliably kill a tarrasque. It involved summoning a Blackball from Mystara right into the inside of the tarrasque and let it have it's fun.
                          Last edited by lordlundar; 09-08-2009, 07:36 PM.
                          I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

"Computer? Computer?

Ah, a keyboard. How quaint."
                            Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

We actually found out a way to reliably kill a tarrasque. It involved summoning a Blackball from Mystara right into the inside of the tarrasque and let it have it's fun.
                              Reminds me of a hole I found in AD&D's implementation of psionics. Creatures didn't have psionic resistance, and Disintegrate didn't have a saving throw. Nothing like taking a 20'x20'x20' chunk out of the middle of an adult red dragon. At level 4. We weren't allowed to use psionics after that.

Comment

Working...
                              X