This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds like a personal problem

Haven't posted here in a while, but I just had a doozy from our level 2 department. To clarify, for those of you that don't know/remember me, I do tier 3 work. Tier 2 is basic tech support, tier 1 is customer service. Yeah. So I get this call...

Me: "X Company level 3, this is Sage speaking."
    T2: "Yes, I've got a customer here who appears to have a bad bin file.(1)"
    Me: *checks, everything appears to be fine* "As far as I can tell, this modem should be working just fine. The bin file appears to be correct and is correctly reflecting the information on the account."
    T2: "Well, on my end, it's not saying that."
    Me: "Sorry, I don't know what to tell you. It looks okay over here. What troubleshooting have you done so far?"
    T2: "Well, I saw the bin file, then transferred to tier 1. They said everything was okay too, so they transferred me over here."
    Me: "Well, they were right; it looks fine here."
    T2: *getting impatient and angry that I won't accept the call* "Well then, what do you suggest I do?!"
    Me: "...Troubleshoot."
    T2: "HOW?!"
    Me: "So you mean to tell me the bin file is preventing you from doing basic troubleshooting?"

At this point he was tongue-tied, stuttered, got frustrated, then hung up. Unbelieveable. The tier 2 group has become completely ridiculous and full of uneducated slackoffs. That's especially hard for me to say as back in 2003 I worked as a tier 2, so yes, I know the job is tough, especially if you're new, but that situation was absolutely unacceptable.

1. Bin files dictate what services are going to a modem like digital phone, speed of Internet service, etc.
    You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Wow. He went straight to the .bin file? My first check on modems is the physical line and making sure phone/cable service is working. Maybe reseat the NIC card if it's not an onboard modem, then hit the dial out number or provider information. It's fairly rare in my experience that the .bin gets corrupted if it was working previously.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

The annoying part, and enough of them say it so I don't think they're lying, is that often information is conflicting between systems. Since they're outsourced, they're using some of the same tools, but not all of them. The main problem is I'm with the local office and they don't listen to me. Just frustrating.
      You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Working...
      X