This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackberry Kills Braincells

I took this call tonight. The names have been changed to protect the innocent, the guilty, and the completely idiotic.

Scenario - Afterhours Fortune 500 company internal helpdesk.

Policy dictates that if the issue isn't pertaining to the creation or transport of company product, they should not call in.
    Start to finish, this call was a complete trainwreck.

ME: blade_raver
    SC: Sucky caller (An account manager of executive level)

ME: Helpdesk, blade_raver speaking.
    SC: Someone got a hold of my blackberry and I want my stuff back.
    ME: I'm sorry. Can you be more specific?
    SC: I failed my blackberry password 10 times and now it's formatted and I want all my data back.
    ME: Did you back it up prior to it being formatted?
    SC: No.
    ME: Then recovery isn't possible. The best you can do is synch it to your laptop and the most current info on it is what your blackberry will have.
    SC: You're lying. I had someone else fix this a while back.
    ME: Do you know the name of the person who did it?
    SC: No. It was a year ago.
    ME: Very well. Let me transfer you over to my other phone so I can keep my main line open and I'll try to fix it. I'm going to say right now before we go any further that I cannot guarantee that you're going to get everything back, but I will try.
    SC: OK.

What I failed to note is, through the entire call, her attitude was childish, combative, unprofessional and downright sucky. There were snide comments made while I was trying to work on this issue. I have to transfer non-critical calls to my other phone and try to work on them per company policy. They won't let me tell them to call back later during normal business hours even though they've been told MULTIPLE times not to call in if it's not business critical.

I waste 15 minutes trying to get her to send me a remote request. This usually should take about 2-3 minutes.
    Reasons why it took so long: SC not listening, not following my instruction, clicking on other things (and not telling me), not telling me what she sees, etc.

After the first 10 minutes, I got fed up with the idiocy. I told her "Okay. Don't click on anything until I tell you."

Surprisingly, she actually told me "Ok." and she did what I said.

So, apparently the only way I can deal with her is if I give her short precise instructions at a tone of voice that commands respect.

Then there was another problem, as I was walking her through the remote assistance request, when I have her read the screen, 85% of the things on the screen she wouldn't read, but instead say "yadda yadda yadda" or "blah blah blah."

Before we continue, I notice so far the following problems she has:
    - Lack of communication skills
    - Lack of ability to follow directions
    - Lack of professionalism
    - Lack of reading skills
    - Lack of maturity
    - Lack of computer operation skills
    - Lack of common sense
    - Lack of accountability

The 3rd remote request went through successfully. I connected and started to take a look.
    Plugged blackberry into the laptop via USB.
    Opened up Blackberry Desktop manager.
    Clicked Backup and Restore.
    Clicked Restore

It was looking for a .ipd file. None shown.

Decided to take this one step further to be thorough.

Start > Run > CMD

C:
    dir /s *.ipd

Response: File not found.

X: <-- That's the network drive
    dir /s *.ipd

Response: File not found.

Okay, no backup file. Recovery impossible. Time to polish the turd.

exit

Close out of the Backup and Recovery part of Blackberry Desktop.
    Went into Synchronization, sent a synchronization request.

Told her that there was no backup data to pull from. The best I can do is synchronize and whatever was saved in Outlook is what you have. The rest she'll have to put back into it and then back up the blackberry.

She obviously didn't like that, but for once, she actually accepted my answer.

I gave her a tip. Next time she fails her password 2-3 times, call in and have us reset the blackberry password via over-the-air reset.

She unplugged the blackberry, thanked me then hung up the phone.

The entire call lasted around 45 minutes. She called in around midnite-thirty central time. And she was on the same time zone.

At least half of my braincells died after that call. I had to go drive for a little bit in order to de-stress.

I swear, she only had 2 braincells -- one in a coma, the other playing freezetag with itself.

I still wonder, how the hell did she end up with a job making at least double what I make?
    Last edited by Blade_Raver; 09-25-2009, 11:54 AM.
    Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

The fact that people like her are hooked to those things isn't the only reason they're called crackberries. But like you, I too wonder how the idiots like her end up with higher end and higher paying jobs.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I think her braincells were fried way way way before she even knew what a crackberry is much less touched one.

The whole experience of conversation with her gave me the complete vibe of Entitlement Whore + Dumb Blonde Bimbo stereotype.

I emailed my boss about it later that night as a heads up just in case she launched a complaint against me.

I received an email from him earlier tonight. He said thanks for the heads up, SC's expectations made him laugh and that he supports me 100% if he does hear about it. He also said I took all the right steps and covered all the bases.

Despite the call suckage, the support and encouragement from my boss just made it that much better for me.
      Fixing problems... one broken customer at a time.

Comment

Quoth Blade_Raver View Post
        I think her braincells were fried way way way before she even knew what a crackberry is much less touched one.

The whole experience of conversation with her gave me the complete vibe of Entitlement Whore + Dumb Blonde Bimbo stereotype.

I emailed my boss about it later that night as a heads up just in case she launched a complaint against me.

I received an email from him earlier tonight. He said thanks for the heads up, SC's expectations made him laugh and that he supports me 100% if he does hear about it. He also said I took all the right steps and covered all the bases.

Despite the call suckage, the support and encouragement from my boss just made it that much better for me.
        Sweet! Your boss is awesome! It's always a good thing to give the bosses heads up about an SC just in case the SC tries to make you look like the bad guy. I never realized how incredibly childish and idiotic people could be until I started working in tech support.
        Last edited by tropicsgoddess; 09-26-2009, 04:23 PM.
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Working...
        X