This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smile and Nod

My boss calls me, asking to borrow my reimaging CD. No problem, I bring it over to his office.

He calls me a few minutes later, the CD doesn't work. I troubleshoot, I call IT, I suggest a few ways around it, nothing works. IT and I figure that his CD drive is bad, despite his protests to the contrary.

In the process of troubleshooting, I ask him why he wants to reimage the computer in the first place. Apparently he wants to reimage the computer in order to retrieve some old files that he delete a long time ago.

Data recovery is WAY beyond my expertise, so I just smile and let him continue his (futile) attempts at reimaging.

Reimaging won't recover those files. $500.00 and outsourcing might - but if they've been missing that long, the disk sectors may have been overwritten so many times that even the best data recovery service may not be able to get them back.
    I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
      Reimaging won't recover those files. $500.00 and outsourcing might - but if they've been missing that long, the disk sectors may have been overwritten so many times that even the best data recovery service may not be able to get them back.
      particularly if he's reimaging multiple times.

Oh well, his loss.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
        I know reimaging won't bring back data. It actually made me laugh when he thought that reimaging it would bring back the data on a computer that is at least 6 years old.

He couldn't reimage it anyways, since his CD drive was dead. Didn't stop him from spending all afternoon trying to see if he could prove me and corporate IT wrong.

Comment

Would reimaging not make things HARDER to retrieve? o_O

As for data recovery, I actually had to look some of that up for as client recently -- There are services out there for as little as $250, tho I suspect that's for "quick & dirty" service -- even Best Buy does that. The Real Deal in a Clean Room and all that is still costs Texa$
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            Would reimaging not make things HARDER to retrieve? o_O
            Very much so. Every time he re-images, he writes over the data. After 6 years of standard use, folloed by the re-imaging, he'd be lucky to get 100 bytes of the data recovered.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
            X