This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell Me Lies, Tell Me Sweet Little Lies

Issue called in: "My printer's not printing." User is at a remote site twenty minutes away.

On calling the user for further useful information, I have her check to make sure the correct printer is selected. Confirming this is the case, I ping the printer to confirm the network is connected, and get a positive response.

Next, I ask the user to look at the printer at her site and tell me is there are any lights or messages showing. She states that the green light is on and the printer says "Ready." With the user reporting good printer status, and the printer responding to the network inquiry, I decide to check the server in case the printing service has failed. Service looks good, so I look in on the server installation of the printer...wait! What's this?

PRINTER STATUS: PAPER JAM

User is asked to clear the jam and reset the printer. Upon bootup, printer finishes jobs in the queue. Notified Boss that issue is fixed. Wondered once again if I wouldn't be better suited for being one of those park rangers who sit in the fire-spotting towers and don't see people for weeks at a time.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

"Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?! One of these days I kick this piece of shit out the window!"
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
      "Why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?! One of these days I kick this piece of shit out the window!"
      I've had to work with printers like that. I'd be tempted to do just that but we were on the ground floor.
      How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
        I've had to work with printers like that. I'd be tempted to do just that but we were on the ground floor.
        Everytime I've dealt with those types of errors, the fix is either to find the tiny scrap of paper still in the printer, or cut power to the printer to reset the sensor. Easy stuff.

Sadly in this case, there really was paper jammed in the printer, the user just didn't want to get up off her tuckas to go check, so she lied to me. It has never made sense to me that some people calling for help will lie about the things that would get the issue resolved--especially when it isn't something they will get in trouble for..
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Maybe they don't know that they won't get in trouble for it? Or they are enough of a technopath to think they WILL cause more trouble than there already is?

Even with the best intentions, you can cause a catastrophe...
          "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

They were wanting to be lazy, and have you go and clear the jam.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
              Everytime I've dealt with those types of errors, the fix is either to find the tiny scrap of paper still in the printer, or cut power to the printer to reset the sensor. Easy stuff.

Sadly in this case, there really was paper jammed in the printer, the user just didn't want to get up off her tuckas to go check, so she lied to me. It has never made sense to me that some people calling for help will lie about the things that would get the issue resolved--especially when it isn't something they will get in trouble for..
              Yeah except I couldn't find the scrap of paper and I think turning them off may have caused problems. I'm not tech support, I was just the only one at 12am with keys to the printers. And your caller is an idiot, there'd at least be a message.
              How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Working...
              X