This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupidest Problem Description and Test

This is from about 2 years ago when I was still a tech.

Problem Description: The computer makes static-like humming sounds.

The computer checked in his computer with that problem description. Of course, the first thing I did was contact the customer to get clarification and more specific information on the problem and the situation the issue was noticed.

(Paraphrasing, since I can't remember the exact words)

Customer: When I have the computer off, after a few hours or overnight the computer starts making a pretty noticeable humming sound.
    Me: If your computer is off it shouldn't be making any humming sounds.
    Customer: Well it does. Please just try shutting down the computer and leave it alone and it will make the sound.
    Me: OK, but the only thing that could be making a sound like that would probably be the built-in computer speaker...but that's not getting any power. Is, perhaps, the external speakers you use on at the time?
    Customer: No, just please test it.

So to humor the customer I shut down the computer after doing a top to bottom diagnostic (just in case) and leave it off overnight. Since I was not going to work the next day I specifically asked the support manager to check for any sounds as soon as he got in the next day. Of course he found nothing. I call the customer, the following day when I get in.

Me: Sir, we did as you requested and left it overnight....we heard no sounds.
    Customer: Sometimes the problem doesn't occur until after a couple days of not being turned on. Could you run the test again and just let it sit for 2 days?
    Me: I'm pretty sure the problem has to do with your speakers because it may be on and too close to your monitor, computer, or another electronic appliance.
    Customer: I'm telling you it isn't. Please just test it again.

Did the same test +1 day and still found nothing. Called the customer again.

Customer: Is the computer plugged in?
    Me: As in, is the power cord plugged in while the computer is off? Yes, it is.
    Customer: Try unplugging the cord and let it sit.
    Me: Sir, I can guarantee you it is not a problem with your computer. But for your peace of mind I will unplug the system completely and let it sit for multiple days.
    Customer: Thank you.

Did this ridiculous test again and FOUND NOTHING WRONG. The customer took back his computer and I didn't hear from him again during the time I worked there. To this day...I know it was his speakers and I don't know why he wouldn't listen to me. I'm assuming he didn't really check to see if his speakers were off at the time and didn't want to be bothered to test this himself.

Do you guys have any stories of ridiculous problem descriptions with ridiculous tests you had to do to prove to your customer there was nothing wrong?

Quoth volatile View Post
    Do you guys have any stories of ridiculous problem descriptions with ridiculous tests you had to do to prove to your customer there was nothing wrong?
    My boss once brought in his *home* computer, and insisted I stop whatever I was doing...and take care of it. Seems the screen was "acting weird." So, I set the thing up, and nothing. Nothing wrong with either the monitor or computer. Rather than waste my time with a nonexistent problem, and went back to more pressing tasks, like troubleshooting the main server.

No sooner do I go back upstairs, my boss starts ranting about how I didn't "fix" his computer. Tried to tell him that there was nothing wrong with it, and he got pissed. Something about he "paid me to fix it" and that I had to go back downstairs and deal with it.

Let me get this straight--you'd rather I waste time messing about with a *perfectly fine* computer, rather than put the server back together...and allow the company to stay open? You're the boss... So, most of the afternoon was spent by yours truly playing solitaire, or surfing the web. Did the screen "act weird?" Hell no. In fact, I never found out what was "wrong."

At least not from the boss. Remember the dead server? Well, the boss bitched about how I wasn't working on it and called in our 3rd party tech. Boss asked him why the monitor would (random ass definition, which was clarified by the tech as the monitor degaussing itself) when he was trying to use it.

End result of all this mess? Not only did the company lose an entire day's worth of sales (no server = no data = no trading = no income ), but I couldn't really be blamed for it. In fact, the 3rd party guy...actually stood up for me, and said that the boss shouldn't have wasted my time
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
    X