Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You need to right click, that. No, the other ICON. Oh, I give up!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You need to right click, that. No, the other ICON. Oh, I give up!

You gotta love working in technical support. After working in phone service for so long, it's a nice break. However, you do get those customers who frustrate you to no end thanks to the fact that many do not listen to you, plus they like to jump ahead of what you are doing.

In my department, we only offer dial up. DSL is not available yet. When a customer calls to add internet service, we can do so in a few short minutes. The long, drawn out part of the phone call is getting the customer to set up their dial up connection on their computer. The one I had this week topped it all, I think. When we set up the dial up, we need to know what the customer's computer operating system is, ie Windows XP, Windows 98, etc. Usually, if the customer does not know, right clicking on the "my computer" ICON will tell you, or if you don't have the ICON, you can find it on your START menu. This lady, each time I kept telling her, she kept clicking the MY DOCUMENTS ICON on her desktop. It took ten long agonizing minutes to find the correct ICON, then another five for her to know how to right click MY COMPUTER. She kept left clicking it over and over again. Finally, fifteen minutes since the call began, she discovered she had Windows XP. Hallelujah!

But, it didn't end there. Next came setting up her dial up connection. On the control panel, she kept right clicking everything when I advised her to left click. We spent probably half an hour getting her to set up her connection, and it got to the point where she (finally) gave up, telling me she would have her husband call us to set it up, since he knew more about computers than she did (you think?).

I always thought common sense was something every customer had, and most know what right and left are. But this woman was something else. It was one of the longest calls in my career, must have lasted close to an hour, which to me was time I could have spent helping the more bright customers. Oh, well.
    Last edited by greensinestro; 12-08-2006, 02:43 PM.

i feel your pain! i had a bright spark today who, upon being asked if she is front of her computer, replies in the negative.
    So, I start giving her some guidelines to follow for when she IS in front of the computer, when she makes a comment indicating that, no, wait, she is sitting with the computer in front of her. (Did it just magically appear?)
    It went downhill from there...
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I feel your pain....
      "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

Mabee you should give free setup for the first 15 minutes and then bill them for the time it takes after that. It would sure encourage the idiots to get someone who knows what they are doing. Thank goodness my grandma lets me fix her computer when stuff happens on her PC.
        Last edited by Crosshair; 12-09-2006, 08:53 AM. Reason: Spelling
        "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Quoth Crosshair View Post
          Mabee you should give free setup for the first 15 minutes and then bill them for the time it makes afterwards. It would sure encourage the idiots to get someone who knows what they are doing. Thank goodness my grandma lets me fix her computer when stuff happens on her PC.
          That's gotta be one of the best ideas I've ever heard. Makes good business sense: you can get to more customers more quickly this way.
          No good news is good bad news

Comment

I usually have them tell me what color their start button is, if they can find it. Otherwise I take them to Control Panel and usually figure it out from there just by the icons they have. But atleast I know all our customers have Microsoft, does that help? Oh, it's Office 2000 XP Pro Bono Edition!

QUOTE=
            The one I had this week topped it all, I think. When we set up the dial up, we need to know what the customer's computer operating system is, ie Windows XP, Windows 98, etc. Usually, if the customer does not know, right clicking on the "my computer" ICON will tell you, or if you don't have the ICON, you can find it on your START menu. This lady, each time I kept telling her, she kept clicking the MY DOCUMENTS ICON on her desktop. It took ten long agonizing minutes to find the correct ICON, then another five for her to know how to right click MY COMPUTER. She kept left clicking it over and over again. Finally, fifteen minutes since the call began, she discovered she had Windows XP. Hallelujah!

Comment

Quoth BravoOrig View Post
              I usually have them tell me what color their start button is, if they can find it. Otherwise I take them to Control Panel and usually figure it out from there just by the icons they have. But atleast I know all our customers have Microsoft, does that help? Oh, it's Office 2000 XP Pro Bono Edition!

Most have XP, but occasionally, I get the one who has the somewhat ancient 98, or better yet, Windows ME. There's a nightmare there, but thank God for that site that shows screenshots and instructions.

Comment

Quoth Crosshair View Post
                Mabee you should give free setup for the first 15 minutes and then bill them for the time it takes after that. It would sure encourage the idiots to get someone who knows what they are doing. Thank goodness my grandma lets me fix her computer when stuff happens on her PC.
                I think that is a fantastic idea! They would have someone who knows what they are doing call in, which should reduce the level of stress for both sides.

Too bad it probably will never happen.

At least she finally gave up & will have someone else call in. It's just too bad it did not happen about 45 minutes earlier than it did.
                "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
                ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Working...
                X