This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Focus on the "problem"

Customer recently complains they lost access to their storage. Their network switches are running code 5 years old, and they let the warranty (an therefore their entitlement to support) lapse years ago.

As a courtesy, I look at their logs, and come up with some questions, along with the statement that I don't see anything offhand that indicates a problem. I ask for some additional logs, and other information on their outage.

I get back a nastygram about how they looked at the logs themselves and they knew I wouldn't see any issue. After more *Blargle!* about how they had this huge outage (despite the fact their logs showed 80% of their crap was online) they tell us that they don't want us to focus on the logs, they want us to focus on the "problem."

And exactly how do you propose we do that, Mr. I Know Everything Customer? Meditate? Hold a seance? ESP?

My reaction: Not what the customer hoped for. I tell him that since he's unsupported and out of warranty, there's nothing more I can do.

There is, in fact, more I could do, but since he's going to be such an ass about it, he's on his own.

SirWired

im with you, i hate it when you know what you need to know and the customer wont answer the question or keeps talking about something else.

me "so on which day did you lose service?"
    customer "well what happened was i got up and i had a shower and then i had a piece of toast and i wantedbto put some butter on it but we had run out and i made a mental note to go the supermarket and get some more and then i got dressed and the phone rang and it was my best friend and she wanted me to go to the cafe with her and..."
    me "so on what day did you lose service"
    customer "im getting there, and anyway at the cafe we had hot chocolate and teacakes and then it was raining and........"
    me "please just answer the question"

and yes i have had this conversation with a customer. grrrrrrr.on a timed call.
    Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

Yes, Thank You... I do not need a life history, genealogy, play-by-play of the day in question, or to know the quantity/color/bathroom habits of your pets...

Just "focus on the problem", which is me getting useful information out of this exchange!

I get this type far too often.
      “All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Comment

I get this type of thing all the time. It's frustrating as hell.

If I'm going above and beyond to help a user out of a situation they caused, a little gratitude would be nice.

I can even live without the gratitude if they'd just shut and cooperate by giving me the information I freaking asked for without whining about it.

But the second they cop that entitled attitude I'm done doing favors for them. To paraphrase a wise man: That stick up there is their problem; they can spin on it for all I care.
        Last edited by Dips; 03-12-2010, 09:01 PM.
        The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth TelephoneAngel View Post
          customer "well what happened was i got up and i had a shower and then i had a piece of toast and i wantedbto put some butter on it but we had run out and i made a mental note to go the supermarket and get some more and then i got dressed and the phone rang and it was my best friend and she wanted me to go to the cafe with her and..."
          At one of the places I used to work, a good indicator I was about to get that response was "see, what it is, is..."

That phrase always made me cringe, mute the mic, and pull up Solitaire while I waited for the latest epic novel from the customer. I served the southern Ohio area/North Kentucky for a cell provider. I don't know if that's some local phrase I just don't hear in Texas and now Utah or what, but 9 times out of 10 it meant a 10-15 minute explanation of nothing in particular of any importance or pertinence to the issue at hand.
          Coworker: Distro of choice?
          Me: Gentoo.
          Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

... Midorikawa, in Utah the 15 or more minute warning is: "... and in closing..."
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth TelephoneAngel View Post
              customer "well what happened was i got up and i had a shower and then i had a piece of toast
              Do I detect a Futurama reference?

(yes, i *AM* obsessed with Futurama. It was only one of the funniest shows ever.)
              "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

That was my first thought also.
                SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

I don't understand the reference but I know what futurama is.
                  Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

Quoth Midorikawa View Post
                    "see, what it is, is..."
                    That's a Southernism. Virtually guaranteed to be someone local to me, below the Mason-Dixon.
                    “All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      ... Midorikawa, in Utah the 15 or more minute warning is: "... and in closing..."
                      no kidding! holy schmoley some people here can talk for ages about nothing in particular!
                      Coworker: Distro of choice?
                      Me: Gentoo.
                      Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Where I am, the 15-20 minute warning is usually at the beginning of the call, and is, 'I have a problem...' Cue 15-20 minutes of stuff absolutely not related to the call, and all attempts to cut to the chase results in a lecture about me being rude, if I'm lucky.

Comment

Working...
                        X