This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge screw ups other people made....

... But you have to pull the miracle out of your ass or else.

here is mine;

Original admin put an 'underscore' in the windows domain name.

GO GO GO!

How does that cause a problem?

(not that I think it doesn't, I don't know and I'm curious.)
    Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

My job was once to correct an SQL database with almost no validation (validation = data in a field has to exist, make sense and sometimes also tally with other data in the database) so that it could be imported to a whole new PoS system with validation on almost everything.
      The previous database tech had even bypassed the minor validation (all products needed a price) the sql db had by importing tables instead of entering the data manually. I had to check 8 free text fields (country of origin, weight, and so on) for several thousand products and decide what was supposed to be written there. more than half were blank meaning I had to go find the product and type what was supposed to be there and ask around or search through old invoices for all the details not on the packaging (what price it was bought for and sold for etc etc).
      When it became obvious that I couldn't correct the whole database in under a fortnight my boss saw this as a 'major failure on my part'.

Yay.
      The customer is always right! Which is a shame, as my gun pulls to the left

Comment

Quoth taurinejunkie View Post
        How does that cause a problem?

(not that I think it doesn't, I don't know and I'm curious.)
        the '_' is not a supported by DNS naming standards. This was done when the domain was Server 2000, the good old days when Microsoft thought industry standards where for everyone else.

Now they follow them. So we cant install new fun toys like Exchange 2010 because the domain has that nasty '_' in its name.

I even called in a Microsoft incident to see if they could fix it. Answer we got was "You are screwed"

Comment

Working...
        X