This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein TA totally confuses the email server

So, here at university of awesome, we have a program where incoming freshmen have a chance to come onto campus, get registered early for classes, meet people, get info, and spend the night on campus.

After a bit of begging from Admissions, we started creating the email addresses for these incoming freshmeatmen for this event.

We recently moved our student accounts to Live@EDU (hotmail..., basically). So, the process to create accounts for students is rather involved. First I have to create the Live accounts, then I have to create the active directory contacts so those of us on the Exchange server can email them, then I have to create network accounts so they can still use our wireless, computers and NAC.

Creating these enmass require several spreadsheets and about 3 csv files.

Before anything with the confusion of the email server, I find out that I had somehow messed up my spreadsheet and moved around 35 of the 122 middle names. Our naming convention uses middle initals. :crying:

So, back to the confusion of the email server.

I use an excel spreadsheet template to create the csv file needed to mass create the AD contacts. This spreadsheet was made before we moved the storage location of the contacts. Easy fix. I went in, and changed the location of the contacts, and batta bing, all done. I was in a hurry to get this done, and move onto my woefully ignored work orders, so I didn't think to spot check the CSV file before running the DOS command on the server. I ran everything, account were created, life was good.

The next morning, we had a power outage, and our generator didn't kick on. It was enough to knock off our servers. :crying: It took the network guys most of the morning to get everything back up. So, we we started getting messages about problems sending email, the server admin and I thought it was related.

The server admin and I look into the problem (two recipients are configured with the same email address) for a few hours. We then hand it over to the network admin, who looks in it for a few hours. Finally the helpdesk manager starts getting into it, since she ran across the same issue while emailing a student. SHE works on it for a few hours. Using our intern's account as a template, since she was affected by it also, we start tearing into everything related to email and this student. Finally, while doing something, the HD manager stumbled across the intern's email address in the contact record of another student...............

This means that her email address was listed under two contacts. Thus, getting the bounceback when someone tried emailing her.. comprehension was made.

NOW... how in the world did it happen? While spot checking some other accounts, the manager got some names of other students who had a different email address in their contacts. One name sounded familiar, so I grabbed my list of incoming freshmen. Yep, she was on it. Oh, and he was too. And her, and her. OH CRAP!

So I quickly pulled up my CSV file, and sure enough on ALL 122 ACCOUNTS, the proxy email address line was wrong. When I made the changes to the template, the proxy email line lost its formula and went static, keeping the name of the last student it was run for.

So, I had 122 accounts with a mismatched email address in it. I printed out the full list of student accounts. 3 pages. The server admin and network admin came over to get a full understand of what the crap happened. They both took a page. We all sat down and started changing email addresses.

After that, I got to start deleting and recreating mailboxes to change the incorrect initials. THAT was my Friday afternoon.

This morning, I get to go back and change the AD contacts for the incorrect initals.

I LOVE MY JOB!
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

*twitch*

I've done something similar with Excel documents before.

Only my documents affect the accounting department, so it could get realy ugly if not caught in time.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Well, I found out that it wasn't really MY fault, it was the sysadmin.

What I didn't realize at the time was that the freakin' sysadmin created a field at the END of the spreadsheet for you to stick the email address, which updated the field in question. He didn't remind me to change that field, so it's really all his fault.

Comment

Ouch. I've got stupidly chocolate cake left over from my birthday if it'll help. <offers big slab>
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Noms.

Happy late birthday!

Comment

I'm a student at your school then TA.

Is the switching to outlook live really hurting that much? Why are they doing it still if its failing this bad?

Comment

Well, you live in my hometown, so not that far fetched.

Basicaly, switching to Windows Live saves us moolah. Major moolah. And it offers the students benefits we can't give them. (10gb email storage, 250gb Livedrive storage, lifetime email address.

Your darling generation's dependance on facebook has put quite a strain on our email server. I don't have the numbers, but the storage that got taken up the minute our ISP started allowing FB emails through was staggering.

All that outweighs one person getting a craptop of extra work. I have to pay for my new office somehow!

ANd, by the by, if you actually attend my uni, that would be super cool!

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
                Your darling generation's dependance on facebook has put quite a strain on our email server.
                Their generation? The vast majority of profiles I see on Fb are people over 30. The kiddies usually hang out on MySpace.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I only say FB, because that's what data I had.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                    Their generation? The vast majority of profiles I see on Fb are people over 30. The kiddies usually hang out on MySpace.

^-.-^
                    Hmmm. From my recent college experience, almost everyone dropped MySpace in HS. Myself, during HS and maybe my 1st year of college I was om MS, but after that I went to FB and stayed.

It seems that many of the late 20's to 30's FB profiles cold be from the original crop of FB uses when it was .edu only.

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                      It seems that many of the late 20's to 30's FB profiles cold be from the original crop of FB uses when it was .edu only.
                      Possibly.

But considering that I see a lot of the same age ranges and general demographics on Facebook as I see on Pogo, I suspect it has a whole lot to do with the fact that there are essentially mini-games attached to a social feature (chatting, messaging, etc).

Plus, practically everybody I used to hang out with is now on Facebook, and most of them were the same people I knew on BBSes. We were all out of school long before Facebook made the scene.

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                      X