This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dont. Lie. To. Me.

A few months ago I started getting in a new model laptop. They look nice (and very different than the previous model - which looked exactly like the model before that) but not many people would benefit from the new one over the older one (the older ones are still rather nice).

One of our admins had a very old laptop (out of warranty by over a year) and he was having some issues accessing files. I scan the drive - bad sectors are starting to pop up. To severely reduce the risk of a catastrophic failure as well as the loss of important data, I swapped him to one of the new laptops.

The next day I have one of the sales "managers" showing me his laptop that it has the blue screen (he loves to show me the laptop - even when he claimed it was turning off by itself). Mind you, I've heard him tel people "I'm just going to keep logging tickets until I get one of the new ones". Guess what, it isn't going to happen. His laptop is less than a year old and still has a long time with the warranty.

He claims he was getting the blue screen "all the time, every day". Of course, 95% of the time those blue screens are caused by software (and 4.99% of the time it is caused by inaccessible data caused by bad sectors on the drive).

Most people don't know this but when you get that blue screen your computer creates a dump file. It people like me have tools that can read and analyze these dump tools and tell you EXACTLY what caused the crash. His computer only had two dump files on it, one from last month and one from the day he showed me the screen. Obviously he's not getting this blue screen several times a day.

I run the first one though the analyzer. Yep - failed driver. The driver that failed controls USB card readers. This is a common reason - someone removes a USB drive (or other media controlled though USB - including PCMICA cards) while the PC is trying to access important data (like the drivers on the card itself). If you really know what you're doing and know what's going on in your computer - you can easily duplicate this on demand.

I run the second one - even better. It was caused when our security software had a failure with Internet Explorer 8. Um, wait, IE8?? At the time of that crash, IE8 was NOT approved yet. He was using unapproved software. I know I'll need this for future reference.

Sure enough, I get an email from my boss. Why did the first person get a new laptop and this person is just getting Windows reloaded. Apparently, this person (who thinks they deserve the newest everything the second it comes out) emailed their boss who emailed my boss. He claimed that he's getting the blue screen "all the time" (yes, I was FWD on the email from my boss - I was being asked why it was going on), I've reloaded WIndows on his laptop "several times" since he's had it and he can never get any work done.

Fine, you want to play that game? No problem.

I explained why the first person got a new laptop (out of warranty, HDD was going bad), then I explained that this person's laptop still has 2 years on the warranty. I also explained the nature of the two crashes (and that they were the only crashes recorded in the system), I did not leave out the fact that the first one was caused by unapproved software and the second one was caused when they removed some sort of USB controlled media (including a wireless modem) - which he had halfway in the slot when he handed me the laptop). I also explained the only other time I loaded Windows on this PC was before I swapped out his previous one a few months ago, the ticketing system shows that.

BTW - with his older laptop from a few months ago I know nothing was wrong with it. I only exchanged it when my boss told me to. The next day I did a ipe and fresh OS install and swapped someone else's laptop with it and that person hasn't had a single problem with it yet.

I am seriously considering having a talk with this person's boss next week (whom I have an extremely good relationship with). I'm really getting sick of this person's attitude (and it's been like this ever since I came into this position).
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

all hail draggar! computer geek elite!

you'll have to let us know how the chat with the dude's boss goes
    If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
    ^_^

Comment

I've decided to talk to my boss about it- he did mouth off to someone else about something I did and I told them to talk to their (who is also his) boss.

Funny how he's constantly getting these crashes yet the computer works perfectly when I'm using it.

I highly suspect he knows how to make this crash happen and can replicate it on demand (I had to do some GOogleing to find out what usually goes on when it happens). I'm going to stand behind him as he uses it and see *exactly* what is going on to cause the crash since it is 100% for the user. Since it is always happening within minutes of getting it I shouldn't have to wait long.

I have an odd feeling it will work fine until I walk away.
      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

I always hated that attitude.

One place I worked at, a sales place itself, would always give the biggest bestest shiniest things to the sales people - but the grunts, US IT people, the admins, the sys admins, the dev people..had the clunkers.

Some of the sales people would use their sales tactics on me to try and get more ram (mind you, this was XP on a 2.8 P4 or a 3.0 P4 with 512 ram - CEO's decision) "Oh, why is it slow?"
        "Because it only has so much ram."
        "Can you install more?"
        "No, not at this time"
        "How can I get you to do this for me?"
        "I'm sorry, it's policy"
        "What would it take for this to happen?"
        (earth imploding, tbh) "Blargle"

Then my boss, the it director, tells me to lie to them...

Cutenoob
        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Is there any way to get one of the new model laptops in a very basic configuration? Just enough to run required programs, and absolutely nothing else? And the smaller the hard drive, the better. If you can, get it just for him. Since that guy only wants it for the looks, the performance shouldn't matter to him.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Sounds like Dell Latitudes.

The D620 and 630s where nice machines, I have had no problems with them. Also, I have all the nice D slot accessories I keep for myself like the floppy drive and extra batteries. So when the 630s come up for replacment I will be a sad half-giant.

Upgrade season was last month and all of the D600s were cycled out. Of course during that month. EVERYONEs laptop sucked! Must be something about the Sleek black of the new latitudes over the flat gray of the old ones.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
              (mind you, this was XP on a 2.8 P4 or a 3.0 P4 with 512 ram - CEO's decision)
              One of the clients I do support for has Office 2007 running under XP on...an HP 1.1GHz desktop with about 128MB of RAM I didn't become aware of the physical memory issues until after the install, so I didn't have any spare sticks on me at the time (even if I had, this is PC100, not a type I really keep in reserve anymore).

As predicted, 2 days after the install, she contacts me complaining of insufficient-memory related problems. Not uncommon for Office, but when the machine only has 128 megs of RAM and a 32GB hard drive that's 80% full to begin with... I strongly suggest maxing out the motherboard (it can take up to 512MB--not a lot, but workable until they decide to just get a new computer). It's going to take me about 2 days to get the memory, so I explain as best I can what I can do and how it will help, tell her the cost, request that she confirm the work and get back to me ASAP (this was on Monday).

Nothing yet. She probably called her son (who told her she could run Office 07 on that machine) to get a second opinion.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Well, this person logged more tickets claiming the BSOD. Funny how he could NOT reproduce it when I was with him but always gets it when he's using it.

I had a co-worker of mine look at the event logs in his PC. We had DCOM errors pop up when the dump files were created. The dump files showed that the drivers that control USB memory devices was failing. You can get DCOM errors in the event log if a USB memory device is disconnected from the PC and reconnected a lot.

If it was a hardware issue it would have happened a lot more often, but it seemed to only happen immedietly before he brought it to me - no other time. Like clockwork. I am under the impression that he unplugged and then plugged in such a device until he got the BSOD and then brought the computer straight to me.

Due to al the tickets, though, my supervisor had me swap out his laptop for one of the new ones. I feel like I was thrown under the bus and now we are letting this person walk all over the IT department.

I guess he doesn't realize that the wall between the conference room he was using and my ofice is very thin - I did hear him bragging about it to his team.

Well, I made it clear to him, his supervisor, and my supervisor:

Swapping the laptop will not help since it is a Windows based driver and the new one will be on the same version of Windows - we should expect to see the same crashes.

Why is this important? I'm willing to bet we will NOT see any more tickets from him about this. IMO this will be pretty close to proving that he was causing it - and if he does have another crash, then it will prove that it wasn't a hardware issue.

Also, when I told him I was swapping out his laptop and when I gave it to him. Did I get a thank you? Nope. All I get was a smug smirk that said "Ha ha, I won, I told you so".
                Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Lets see what happens the next time he actually NEEDS help on the laptop...

What i'd prob try and do is Fix the old one up, show your boss it works. Then, if the guy ever puts in a ticket again, tell him you need to take the new laptop for diagnostics, but you have another laptop he can use in the meantime, maybe for only a day or 2. Transfer the info over, then give him his old laptop

Comment

What a Jerk. It was obvious that he knew what he was doing and was just in t for a shiny new laptop. It's sad that sup gave in.

Comment

I'm saving all the emails for the next time this happens - which we know will be when the next model comes out.
                      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Working...
                      X