This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, I'm telling you, it's your fault!

I moved into a new place about 2 years ago. I game and file share, so I pay for relatively expensive internet service through the main provider in my city. Everything is set up fine with it, even before I move in. Works great.

About 6 months later, I get a knock on my door, and it's someone from the cable company. Weird. He introduces himself, I check his ID, and he asks to be let into the basement of my apartment building (where all the hook ups for everything is), that he just has some general maintenance to do. I'm a little weirded out, but I let him downstairs.

About 20 minutes later, my internet goes out. Fun fun. I play with my connection, modem, power cycle, etc etc, and determine it's not my side, the guy had to have done something to ruin my perfect internet service.

So I call. Get dumped into an automatic thing that checks for outages in my area, tells me how to reset my modem, check cables, etc etc etc. I get angry, and start spamming 0 to get a real person, cause once again, I know the dude had to have messed something up.

Finally get a real person, and they start to go through the stupid "Is the light on, on the little black box..." Jesus. Yes. I get her to stop talking, and listen to me- "This guy was here about 30 minutes ago, I let him into the basement, and my internet went out shortly before he left."

She puts me on hold for a couple minutes, and comes back to tell me: "We turned off the service to your apartment because you were illegally using our service. We could have you arrested for this, but will not this time. If you would like to purchase a plan with us, I can transfer you to someone that can help."

I understandably get snippy with her, give her my account number (again!). She puts me on hold again.

Comes back on the line. "I apologize, this was done in error, someone had been reported as stealing service and the technician disconnected the wrong line. We can have someone there to restore service to you on Thursday (3 days later)."

Why the hell they couldn't send the idiot that couldn't read numbers correctly back to fix it, I don't know. I was getting a head ache, so I just demanded a credit to my account, (got it, a whole month!) and they came to fix it on Thursday. Thankfully I haven't had to call for a service problem since!

Quoth Sab View Post
    Why the hell they couldn't send the idiot that couldn't read numbers correctly back to fix it, I don't know.
    Well, would you want him to? Think about it, him being there was what caused the mess in the first place.

As well, do you have a wireless router? If so, you want to secure it, as it could very well be that someone was connecting to your network which prompted the initial complaint.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
      As well, do you have a wireless router? If so, you want to secure it, as it could very well be that someone was connecting to your network which prompted the initial complaint.
      OP says that it was some other guy that was breaking the TOS, and the tech screwed up and cut the wrong cable.

But still, securing your wireless = Good Idea™. WEP doesn't count either :P

Comment

Oh wow, that's about the most fail I've seen recently that wasn't committed by a Milwaukee Brewers pitcher.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Sab View Post
          Comes back on the line. "I apologize, this was done in error, someone had been reported as stealing service and the technician disconnected the wrong line. We can have someone there to restore service to you on Thursday (3 days later)."
          Rarely do I advocate being the SC but you were well within your rights to go completely sucky on the rep. Not that it's the rep's fault, but this was a complete breakdown on their part and they ADMITTED the error.

If they didn't get someone out ASAP I would have demanded at least a free month's service and if not, a strongly worded letter to their corporate office as well as the BBB. I hope you get the tech's name - feel free to include that on the letters.
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
            Rarely do I advocate being the SC but you were well within your rights to go completely sucky on the rep. Not that it's the rep's fault, but this was a complete breakdown on their part and they ADMITTED the error.

If they didn't get someone out ASAP I would have demanded at least a free month's service and if not, a strongly worded letter to their corporate office as well as the BBB. I hope you get the tech's name - feel free to include that on the letters.
            I have to agree with this. Three days to restore service (of any kind) that was wrongfully disrupted, and being accused directly of being a thief, would have caused me to blow a gasket. "Hold on a second" - *mutes phone*

Once I calmed down, I would have been very firm about it. They would be instructed to get someone out there IMMEDIATELY, regardless of how much they had to pay someone for the call, to fix the problem. And I would have climbed the supervisor chain to get it done as well.

Although I would more than likely have settled for the next day, but man would I have been put out. We use cable for both TV and Internet, and don't have a converter box, so no over-the-air TV until it's back.

You were too nice to them.

Eric the Grey
            In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

I agree with everyone... I would have DEMANDED they get someone out there within 2 hours.. or the next phone call they will be getting will be from a lawyer for breach of contract, and slander (calling me a thief even though they made a mistake).

Comment

Um, I think some of you might have missed that the OP demanded a credit and received a month for the mix-up.
                Quoth Sandman View Post
                and slander (calling me a thief even though they made a mistake).
                That only means anything if you can prove damages, and since it was just one person saying to to another and not broadcasting it anywhere, it's legally meaningless.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Still, they screwed up (in the person of the incompetent tech) so they were under a moral obligation to fix it ASAP.

Wait a minute.

Sorry, for a minute I forgot what country I live in.

Here in the States, it's very wrong for an individual to inconvenience a multi-billion dollar corporation, but it's perfectly okay for that same multi-billion corporation to inconvenience an individual.

What WAS I thinking? I forgot -- morals apply to individuals, not corporations...

(And if any one wants to further this line of commentary, let's take it to fratching.)
                  I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Working...
                  X