This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, I Don't Trust You

One of the managers at a local office is an technological idiot who thinks she knows far more than she does. Here's a list of things she's done over the past 3 weeks.

-Told me to "just reimage it to fix it" for a slow computer. I asked her several times if there were any important files she wanted to pull off first, and of course she said no. Being in a bad mood (because I had to deal with her) and impatient, I reimaged it instead of trying to troubleshoot it. I bring it back and she says "Oh good, I missed that computer. I really need some of the files on it." It took her 20 minutes to accept that all of the files were permanently gone.

-Computer (just used for email) with a 150 GB hard drive has a full hard drive and she keeps getting error messages. "It has a virus!" she complains. My boss gives her a flash drive to pull off important files and tells her how to delete extra files. She claims she's done that, then calls me a week later. "We still have the virus! The hard drive is still full!" Turns out it was an employee downloading music (still not sure how since most stuff is blocked by IT). "No, that can't be it! Reimage it to get rid of the virus!" Funny how after reimaging it and me sending the offending employee a reminder that the computer is for email usage ONLY the HD has remained fairly empty.

-She tried to install a printer. This is normally pretty easy since the company image has a close to idiot proof printer install wizard. She is having problems with the computer saying it doesn't see the printer. Before I drive over, I asked her three times if she was sure that ALL the wires were plugged in. Of course she's sure, and of course the USB cord wasn't connected to the computer.

-We have network problems and a broken computer at a desk. I fix the computer and bring it back. I remind her as I set it up that the network is still dead and she won't even be able to log into the computer until the network is fixed. Guess who calls me 5 minutes later asking about why the computer won't log on, and who then sends an angry email to my boss complaining that I didn't do my job and fix the computer.

The best part was that today I went over to look at a computer that kept popping up with different Blue Screens of Death and I told her I would reimage it because it looked like Windows had somehow gotten corrupted. "Oh, I can do that! Just leave the CD with me! You can trust me to do it." Yeah, because you've established such a good track record recently.

Technidiots. RAWR.

Like my BF's mom. She wants somehow to connect her 56" LCD TV to her computer network so she can watch HULU and YOUTUBE on the 56" screen.

She also thinks if she 'downloads' something it goes into the 'video' folder. Well, no, it doesn't, because you told us to have all the downloads go to the DOWNLOADS folder. And if you PAY ATTENTION, to the name of the file, YOU'D BE ABLE TO FIND IT AFTERWARDS.

She seems to think that having a PC, Laptop, Netbook and Wii should all have the same TV show copies on each other, instead of setting up a centralized file server. This means she gets a TV show, copies it to A, B C ..and wants to see it on anyone of them at any time.
    Without also having any kind of file organization system in her own setups, she has shit EVERYWHERE.

I can has new mil ?

Cutenoob
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
      I can has new mil ?
      Cutenoob
      only way to do that is either you have to remarry or fil has to
      This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
      my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
        Technidiots. RAWR.

Like my BF's mom. She wants somehow to connect her 56" LCD TV to her computer network so she can watch HULU and YOUTUBE on the 56" screen.
        It can be possible -- my 35" LCD TV has a VGA input port. Just have to run a 15' cable to the computer.
        I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Oh, not saying it's not....just that it would look like utter shit, and that would be the first thing she'd complain about.
          She'd call BF and me on a weekend and have us come up to her place because the tv isnt working right aka the picture is crappy...and wouldnt believe that it's the original file that's crappy/ill suited for what she's doing.

See, someone got her a bootleg/CAM copy of a movie that was still in the theaters.
          First thing she bitches about was that there were no menus on the DVD. (cam copy = someone set up a camera to tape the movie off the big screen)

Yeah. She's like that.

Cutenoob

Comment

...if you PAY ATTENTION, to the name of the file, YOU'D BE ABLE TO FIND IT AFTERWARDS.
            I sort my Downloads folder by date.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
              See, someone got her a bootleg/CAM copy of a movie that was still in the theaters.
              First thing she bitches about was that there were no menus on the DVD. (cam copy = someone set up a camera to tape the movie off the big screen)

Yeah. She's like that.

Cutenoob

CAM = crap. Was it at least in a language that she can understand?

It's scary at how much people who "know nothing" about computers actually know.
              Quote Dalesys:
              ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
                Oh, not saying it's not....just that it would look like utter shit, and that would be the first thing she'd complain about.
                Is there actually a way to have a computer display on a TV without it looking like crap? My TV (a slightly old Philips) and my video card both have S-Video jacks, and I have a cable for it, but the one time I tried it (because my monitor shorted out and I was desperate to save some documents quickly) it was like looking at a screen covered in Vaseline.
                » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

Quoth KabeRinnaul View Post
                  Is there actually a way to have a computer display on a TV without it looking like crap? My TV (a slightly old Philips) and my video card both have S-Video jacks, and I have a cable for it, but the one time I tried it (because my monitor shorted out and I was desperate to save some documents quickly) it was like looking at a screen covered in Vaseline.
                  not really, TV's don't have a very good resolution compared to most modern monitors, my large LCD flatscreen TV has difficulty displaying anything above 800x600

also a bonus xkcd strip
                  "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
                  Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

Read the Overview

The overview section has it best here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

Cutenoob

Comment

Let's put it this way - a typical SD TV can't properly handle the full screen resolution of a 1981 BBC Micro. That's 640x256. The only reason to use the monochrome mode that ran that high was to get 80 text columns for code editing, and that was only usable because (like VGA) the font was bold. And most of the time I got to use a proper monitor, which actually had a stable picture and noticeably better focus.

TVs are designed for showing photographic moving images which come through all of 5MHz of bandwidth. They are *deliberately* blurry for that reason. The dotclock on my LCD monitor is somewhere around 145MHz...

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
                        I bring it back and she says "Oh good, I missed that computer. I really need some of the files on it." It took her 20 minutes to accept that all of the files were permanently gone.
                        BWAHAHAHAHA!
                        I love it when they're hosted on their own petard.

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
                        Yeah, because you've established such a good track record recently.
                        So, is she on a fast track to being terminated?
                        Or is your boss going to have to lay on the smacketh down?
                        Last edited by ExiledV20; 04-29-2010, 03:53 AM.
                        Regards,
                        The Exiled, V.2.0

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind."
                        - H. P. Lovecraft

Comment

Quoth Darkforge View Post
                          not really, TV's don't have a very good resolution compared to most modern monitors, my large LCD flatscreen TV has difficulty displaying anything above 800x600

also a bonus xkcd strip
                          I've got a newish 36" TV that can do 1024x768 with a DVI-I (PC) to VGA (TV) cable. I think it can do 1080p if my graphics card card had DVI-D and I used a DVI-D to HDMI cable.

I catch up on my NCIS and suchlike and the quality at 1024x768 is pretty good. Of course the avi's are at a reasonably resolution to start with.
                          Don't just do something...sit there!

Comment

She's been with the company far too long to get fired, and my boss's management style is 'hope everyone gets along.' He's technically her boss too, so I guess I wouldn't know if he told her something, but I know he wouldn't. Boss and coworker Bob and I basically deal with her by ignoring her and hoping she leaves us alone. She only finds things "wrong" when she needs to look busy, so hopefully some upcoming events will keep her out of our hair.

Comment

Working...
                            X