This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
    She's terrified of deleting anything because it might turn out to be important later.
    Maybe that mindset is why we have boxes of old letters we have inherited from older family members over the years. If I could only convince Mrs. IA to sort through them (they're from her family) and toss them some of them. Come to think of it, Mrs. IA doesn't even empty her email trash. Maybe I should check her recycle bin.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
      Maybe that mindset is why we have boxes of old letters we have inherited from older family members over the years.
      Might be. "Gotta save it, might be important later for posterity or something!" I'll admit, I get a bit of that too on occasion. I inherited some of my mom's packrat tendencies. (Yes, packrat, not hoarder. We only save potentially useful stuff, and are able to go through periodically and pare down the collection, as well as actually use some of the stuff we've saved.) I recently went through a box of my old high school/college stuff that included a ton of letters between me and a cousin, me and a sister, etc. Tossed most of them because they weren't worth the scrapbooking/journaling time, though I did keep the very first valentine Hubby ever gave me (before we were dating).
      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

As far as the users afraid of the Automatic Updates, I assume your company is big enough to use WSUS (for the non-techie, that is a computer in-house that downloads the updates from MS and dishes them out to the individual computers at scheduled times and allows for review of the updates). Have you tried telling them that you have PERSONALLY approved each update that they receive?

Comment

Nope its a small company, at the moment there are *counts on fingers* 10 people in the building, plus one who is only in a few days a week, then three who work in another group's building therefore torture that group's tech (we send him alcohol of his choosing if anything bad goes down, yes we like to keep our tech people happily intoxicated, why do you ask? We also send over baked goods and other yummy snacks). With the small number of people we just pick a day and hop onto their computers while they are at lunch and make sure things are running smoothly, or in the case of the Omg it's doom! person we will hop onto her computer a lot more now to make sure things are running right, and to reassure her there is no doom, we are kicking ourselves for not doing it more before now. We schedule what we can, mostly for when they won't be sitting at the desk to poke at it and possibly turn it off, which has been a problem in the past. I hate when they go "It's slowing my computer down, I don't care if it's necessary." *click* bye bye task.
          I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
            Also it insulted my Mother and I want revenge, not to mention my friend is at Pennsic and isn't around to shoot it for me so a hammer will have to do. Btw (don't try this home, use a trained professional, Etc.) did you know a laptop will go boom and start on fire if it is shot? I learn the best things from former Airforce computer guys.
            Awwwww, hubby and I would be thrilled to meet you at a gun range with something that goes bang for you to borrow. Just pay for a box of cheap ammo, a target or two and your range fee and have fun. I have the cutest little Ivers Johnson in .22 that is a blast.
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
              Awwwww, hubby and I would be thrilled to meet you at a gun range with something that goes bang for you to borrow. Just pay for a box of cheap ammo, a target or two and your range fee and have fun. I have the cutest little Ivers Johnson in .22 that is a blast.
              ..............................Really? I've no experience with firearms....that would be interesting....should I be giggling and bouncing like I am?
              Last edited by Squeaksmyalias; 08-19-2011, 06:06 PM.
              I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth Moon View Post
                As far as the users afraid of the Automatic Updates, I assume your company is big enough to use WSUS
                I use WSUS on my (rather complicated) home network

What? I'm not working currently... got to keep my hand in somehow!

So yes, doesn't have to be a large network to use that system.
                Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

I know this forum is rather dead, but I think I can help. There is this program my school uses called Deep Freeze. It prevents anyone from messing up the computers, because it saves the computer to an image and it will just dump new changes when it is restarted.

What I do understand about it: All of the students have to load their documents and saved things on a u-drive, kept in the server.
                  What I don't understand: How they handle updates. From what I can tell, they don't. (computers are at least 11 years old.)

Comment

My dad's the opposite of this. He has a tendency to click on things he ought not to click on. Had to have his computer wiped once because of doing that.

In his defense, when he retired (WSMR, late 80's), they were still using punch cards to compile telemetry on missile tests.
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

One of the good things about Ubuntu is that if you set it to automatically update, it only tells you if you need to reboot - and *after* it's installed the update.

Just sayin'.

Comment

Why is it that the people who have to be led by the hand to do anything involving their computer, who can't move a file without yelling for help with it, are the very same people most likely to decide the don't use the files in the system folder and delete them all?

Madness takes it's toll....
                        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Cooper View Post
                          I know this forum is rather dead, but I think I can help. There is this program my school uses called Deep Freeze. It prevents anyone from messing up the computers, because it saves the computer to an image and it will just dump new changes when it is restarted.

What I do understand about it: All of the students have to load their documents and saved things on a u-drive, kept in the server.
                          What I don't understand: How they handle updates. From what I can tell, they don't. (computers are at least 11 years old.)
                          Me likey Deep Freeze! It saves the IT dept at my school TONS of work.

As for updates, it can be set to automatically boot the computer (say at 2AM on a Saturday morning), install the updates and "refreeze" the system to not allow any more changes. We just don't bother, unless these's another reason the system is "thawed". Then, we update while we do the other work.

Comment

Working...
                          X