This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verify who you are = poor service!!

I now work for a different dept in my center, an ISP that shall remain nameless.

Like any ISP, we can't just give out the username and password. Even if the client verifies the name and address, we need to verify at least one of the following: last 4 of the social, account #, or in extreme cases we can have them unplug the modem which will make it show up as not synced in our system.

So guy calls in saying he needs the username and password so he can log into our webmail site. He says he needs to read some emails as he is out of state. Automatically, that throws out being able to verify by unplugging modem. In addition, he didn't have his social on file nor his account # (2nd could be a fail by the sales team, 1st could have been the result of client refusing to give it to us).

Lastly, he can get that info added by another dept, but they were closed by that time.

So, here goes the SC part....

Me: Unfortunately, as we have no way to verify you, I can't give you the email and password.

SC: I gave you my name and address, isn't that enough?

Me: Due to rules, no. Since you don't have the last 4 of the social nor the account # on file, and since you're not at home where I can physically verify you by having you unplug the modem, I am prevented from divulging the info at this time.

SC: God dammit, I am [sucky customer]! I need to read my emails!

Me: Unfortunately, due to not being able to verify you I cannot divulge that info. My recommendation is to wait until one of our billing departments open on Monday, they can add your.....

SC: *Cuts me off.* That's not acceptable! I called in for a simple matter, this is poor customer service!

Me: I'm sorry you feel that way sir, but it's standard practice all over the industry to verify info. Wait until you get home, or call the billing department on Monday and have them add the....

SC: *Cuts me off AGAIN.* Yeah, I'll call on Monday.... to cancel my account! And if they ask why, I'll say your agent refused to give me info that I am legally entitled to ask for! Bye!

*Click.*

Okay, first off, even if he does cancel and goes with another ISP, they have the same practice as well. I think it's a federal thing actually, and I'm not risking my job because this guy refused to add verifiers to his account.

Or it's actually someone else's account and he is trying to spy on them.

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
      Or it's actually someone else's account and he is trying to spy on them.
      That what I was thinking about also.....

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
        SC: *Cuts me off AGAIN.* Yeah, I'll call on Monday.... to cancel my account! And if they ask why, I'll say your agent refused to give me info that I am legally entitled to ask for! Bye!
        Oh, he's legally entitled to ask all he wants, which you allowed him to do several times.

But he's still not getting that info without more work on his end, first.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I think it's so funny when SC's complain or make a complaint that the person that they dealt with was for following policy to the letter. I do agree that this SC must've been a scammer from his demeanor and also that he couldn't verify the more pertinent info to get what he wanted.
          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
            That what I was thinking about also.....
            As was I. Did he ever call back to cancel, or even call back at all?
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
              As was I. Did he ever call back to cancel, or even call back at all?
              Don't know. Unless of course, he sends in a bad survey. But if that be the case they'll probably overturn it once they listen to the call.

Comment

Either a scammer or else up to something.
                Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

The louder they yell, the more crooked they are!

Yes, I work in an industry that must obey a gazillion privacy laws. Yet, people call and expect us to give out the most sensitive information on their word only!

Comment

How is he going to cancel without the needed info? They are just going to ask him the same questions to do that.

Second, even if there is no federal laws to prevent you giving out the info, there are federal laws to allow the account holder to sue you if you do give out the info to the wrong person and they in turn cause the account holder any harm.

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
                      Okay, first off, even if he does cancel and goes with another ISP, they have the same practice as well. I think it's a federal thing actually, and I'm not risking my job because this guy refused to add verifiers to his account.
                      Ayup. they may have secure info like ssn or banking info in the emails

Comment

What is so hard for some customers to understand that you are following predetermind rules set up for their own security?!

I bet that if this guy had a business rival call up pretending to be him, he'd appreciate the rules then!

What a fanny!

Comment

Working...
                        X