This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Conspiracy of One

Background: The organization I do IT for uses a large, awkward program that does just about everything the organization needs--including interfacing with the federal government. It is currently the only program of its kind on the market to make it out of beta, so we just about have to use it, or else do everything by hand and fax it in. I'm not a fan of a lot of the design choices made on the program, as it seems like no one considered that an end-user is going to have to actually use it at some point. I'll call it VAP (Very Awkward Program) for short.

I have a user that may be slowly going crazy on us. She seems to think someone is targeting her. She is convinced someone is going in and removing her work after she puts it in. She also says someone is changing the settings on her computer.

The problem is, the way VAP is set up, the changes she makes affect one of the main database tables. Even my Boss and I, having full system control, can't touch those tables. Anything that goes wrong in there has to go through the company that made the program, because those tables touch everything in the program. One small mistake and the system is corrupt--one of the many reasons we back it up as often as possible. Worst-come-worst, we only lose two days of work, max.

So, yeah. It is very unlikely anyone at the company that made VAP has a personal vendetta against crazy user, or would risk a very obvious modification that would hose the entire database structure just to get rid of her work. A more likely scenario would be she isn't hitting the "save" button after entering the changes, so it doesn't apply them to the databases. She "forgets" her training quite often, and we've had to troubleshoot her files a fair bit to figure out why her files aren't being accepted.

But you can't tell her that. It has actually reached the point where even her coworkers beg me not to tell her I've been around to run updates on her computer if she isn't there when I come by. Apparently she rants if she notices anything on her desk is changed, so I have to be careful not to move anything on the desk. Boss and I actually roll our eyes at each other accross the hall when we see her name come up on an incomming call. Boss is documenting the odd behavior with HR, but lord knows how that will work out.

The situation is just getting annoying right now. It is just Boss and myself over 100 computer seats, the cell phone fleet for the maintenance guys which is getting upgraded, all the servers and network equipment, a dozen remote sites between five and fifty minutes drive away, and the CEO of the organization that doesn't understand that we need time to plan and wire a new remote site (he decided to open three more on two days notice.). Oh, and we're not allowed overtime, which means I can only work my base eight hours per day, so Boss often works late. We're both losing patience with nutcase user's antics.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

>It is just Boss and myself over 100 computer seats, the cell phone fleet for the maintenance guys which is getting upgraded, all the servers and network equipment, a dozen remote sites between five and fifty minutes drive away, and the CEO of the organization that doesn't understand that we need time to plan and wire a new remote site (he decided to open three more on two days notice.). Oh, and we're not allowed overtime<

You are being exploited. Change the job title on your business card to "Slave".

Comment

Inform her that this is the property of the company, not her, and that you have all rights and privileges to modify or change things (which is true. No?) in order for the business to continue in a controlled and working manner. Let rant all she wants but make sure your supervisor knows or witnesses this.

You can affirm her that the changes she makes affects the whole database, so unless she wants to spend an unpaid day off fixing it herself, that you and your supervisor will have to monitor things and correct any errors that she makes. Otherwise the responsibility and blame will fall on her.

Comment

I may be just slightly too evil to have your job. My first instinct is to recommend that you randomly mix in words from another language into your conversations with this lady. Not often, just sometimes. But then again, I delight in confusing people. I wish you the best of luck with her, and hope she either gets better or gets gone

Comment

Quoth AngloSaxonViking View Post
          You are being exploited. Change the job title on your business card to "Slave".
          Hardly. We're both paid quite well for the area, and the benefits are exellent. Personally, I like the work, we're just at one of those times when several projects are hitting at the same time, making for busy days. We don't have time to humor the crazy.

Quoth emax4 View Post
          You can affirm her that the changes she makes affects the whole database, so unless she wants to spend an unpaid day off fixing it herself, that you and your supervisor will have to monitor things and correct any errors that she makes. Otherwise the responsibility and blame will fall on her.
          1) The problem is she isn't actually putting things in. She forgets to save the changes.

2) She would take up the chance to muck around in the database. Boss and I will both quit before we allow that. And we wouldn't turn over the access passwords.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

If she's not saving changes, then she shouldn't be allowed any access to the database. You could just install a dumb terminal and have her work on that so she thinks she's working on the real thing. hee hee

Comment

Issue her a PHB laptop. (AKA an Etch-A-Sketch)
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                Background:
                I have a user that may be slowly going crazy on us. She seems to think someone is targeting her. She is convinced someone is going in and removing her work after she puts it in. She also says someone is changing the settings on her computer.
                But it can't be her - someone else has GOT to be responsible.

Back in the days of floppies (yeah, that long ago, and I don't mean the little ones, either) I had a client we'd written a custom ledger system for, the company was one physical entity, but legally split into five companies. Each set of books was on a different set of floppies. She was finding records entered for the wrong company. The only way to do that was to put in the wrong floppy and (against several safeguards and "do you really want to do this" warning flags, enter the data with the wrong floppy in the drive. But she nor her staff couldn't possibly do that. She was convinced that during the night, the data was somehow migrating from one floppy to another. At one point, the conversation even began to drift towards talk of an office ghost.....

Madness takes it's toll....
                Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                  Back in the days of floppies (yeah, that long ago, and I don't mean the little ones, either)
                  I used to work at a Chandler Job (tm) in the computer department of a printing firm -- One of those places that NEVER threw anything out. One excruciatingly slow day, I finished what I was doing and wandered over to one of the "cabinets full of stuff we haven't even looked at in a few years" and pulled out some floppies...Not just the 3.5 and 5.25 inch buggers, but the EIGHT INCH ones as well. I asked if I could string them up and make a mobile out of the suckers, as we didn't even have a machine that could accept floppies anymore, regardless of size...Sadly, I was shot down, tho I could tell that the boss was really tempted.
                  Last edited by EricKei; 11-07-2011, 08:11 PM.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                  X