Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And this guy is an IT manager?? (long)

I work for an ISP now. In my department, the general rule is that if everything shows up OK in our system but the customer cannot get online, you have the customer power cycle the modem and if that doesn't fix the issue you begin to look into whether the issue is with the computer.

The players:

SLD: Me
    SC: The big bad IT manager
    SCM: The mom

This woman could not get online. I had her power cycle, and that didn't fix it. I had her look in command prompt and bring up IPCONFIG - sure enough, the computer had an IP address that began in 169. For the non-techies, this basically is the computer saying, "I can't communicate with the outside network device either because my NIC is bad, the NIC driver is corrupted or my operating system is hosed so I'll put this bogus IP address in here to make myself look good."

Me: I'm sorry ma'am, but at this time a 169 IP means a computer issue. *Gives the non-techie explanation."

SCM: So what do you suggest I do?

Me: Since our premium pay-for-support line can't help as you cannot get online, your two choices are to call the manufacturer, or bring to a repair center.

SCM: Hang on, I'll let you talk to my son....

I could hear him in the background getting ready to come at me with guns blazing....

SC: There is no way in hell my mom is doing either of this things. Your modem is defective and it needs to be replaced.

Me: Actually sir, a 169 IP means....

SC: I'm an IT manager for a financial services company. I know what a 169 IP is, and it means your modem is defective.

It was clear that he though I was a know-nothing peon that was probably reading from a script. Well, a peon but certainly not a know-nothing.

Me: Whenever a 169 IP is shown while there is a very slim chance it's a modem 99% of the time it means that either the NIC is bad or there is something wrong with the operating system.

SC: At this point it's clear that either you don't know what you're doing or you're trying to brush me off.....

Me: I'm trying to help, but as it's a 169 IP per rules we have to treat it as an issue with the computer not with our equipment. The only other thing I can try is a winsock reset....

SC: A WINSOCK RESET WILL NOT FIX THE ISSUE! IT'S AN ISSUE WITH YOUR GODDAMN MODEM!

Me: Okay sir, there is one other thing I can try to prove to you that this is an issue with your computer....

SC: And what is THAT?

Me: Do you have another modem or router?

SC: Um yeah. I have an older modem and a Link-ski router that I have before my mother upgraded to this all in one unit. It should still work....

A real IT manager would not pronounce a Linksys router, "link-ski." That is all.

I proceeded to have him wire the Linksys router up to his computer just by itself, and he rebooted the computer without telling me. As expected, the computer gave a 169 IP.

Me: Sir, the computer is giving a 169 IP on both network devices, the modem and the router. It's definitely a computer issue.

SC: Of course it’s going to give a 169 IP, the router you had me hook up is not connected to the internet! I don’t think you know what you’re doing.

Me: While it is true that the router is not connected to the internet it would still give the computer its own IP which would begin in 192. You have a computer issue sir and I don’t really know how else to say it.

SC: Well either you just want to brush me off, or you’re just a moron.

Me: Sir I’m trying to help you sir. Please keep this call professional and stop hurling insults.

SC: WHAT?! I WANT TO TALK TO A MANAGER! YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO TALK TO A CUSTOMER LIKE THAT!

Me: You are being abusive, sir....

SC: I am under no obligation to be civil to you. You, on the other hand need to be civil to me. NOW GET ME YOUR GOD DAMN MANAGER!

Me: Sure, please hold....

Since my direct supervisor was busy I enlisted another sup. Since we have to transfer calls to sups, I can’t listen in but I did get to hear his side...

“Sir I understand your frustration with your problem, but SLD is one of my better techs and he verified that your issue is with your computer not our equipment…. Okay first off I’m not going to fire him for defending himself…. My technicians have the right to defend themselves when customers get abusive, and calling him a ‘moron’ is abusive…. Sir your job title and salary level has nothing to do with treating my technicians with respect…. Okay sir now you’re insulting me, I urge you to quit it or I’m going to release you…. Sir as SLD already verified that it’s a computer issue we cannot replace the modem…. You’re more than welcome to bring the computer to somewhere else that has a working internet connection but if it’s giving a 169 IP here it’ll give a 169 IP there….. Okay sir since you’re now spouting off lawyers and legal action I can’t continue with this call…. Sir I’m not here to listen to choice of foul language, one more time and….. that’s it, thanks for calling....

*Click.*

I asked him what he said. Basically he wanted me fired for “being disrespectful” and that “he makes in a week what our so called script readers make in a month and a half in his high-level position” and “he doesn’t have to kiss our ass” and he called the supervisor an “idiot” for backing me up. He finally relented and said he’ll bring the computer somewhere but if works just fine there he’s going to proceed with legal action. Per rules once a customer “lawyers up” we can no longer talk to them, that’s when the customer started dropping f-bombs and wouldn’t stop, that’s when the supervisor hung up on him.
    Last edited by sld72382; 12-15-2011, 06:22 AM.

Given a 169, I would also suspect the Ethernet cable. I think that's a reasonable thing for an ISP to check.

Technically, the 169 address means the computer is using DHCP, but isn't getting a reply from the DHCP server (which is either in the router or the ISP). It aso sometimes shows up when the DHCP lease expires but, for whatever reason, the DHCP client doesn't bother to renew it (and yes, Windows is sometimes *that* stupid).

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
      Given a 169, I would also suspect the Ethernet cable. I think that's a reasonable thing for an ISP to check.

Technically, the 169 address means the computer is using DHCP, but isn't getting a reply from the DHCP server (which is either in the router or the ISP). It aso sometimes shows up when the DHCP lease expires but, for whatever reason, the DHCP client doesn't bother to renew it (and yes, Windows is sometimes *that* stupid).
      The woman said she tried another ethernet cord before she called.

And I agree that windows is just plain dumb some (Make that many) times.

Comment

May I nitpick? It is actually 169.254.* which is the bogus address which indicates DHCP failure of some kind. I have heard a story (could as well be an urban legend) about an ISP (in EUrope) who actually used IP addresses starting with 169 but then came a lower number which supposedly confused the heck out of the supporter (of a PC manufacturer)... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/169.254

Now back to our regularly scheduled custybashing (because he deserves it)

Comment

I think SLD was just dumbing it down for the non-techie primary customer (often an absolute necessity!) and for her over-promoted son who doesn't sound like he's had much IP experience at all. Methinks Scott Adams is right -- the purpose of Management IS to remove morons from the productive flow...
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Knowing a lot of managers in IT/ISP world, it's actually is very likely that that is what they do for a job.
            But he still sucks for being an asshole If I were you, I'd get the sup to put a note on the lady's account saying her son isn't allowed to talk to your staff, due to his past abuse
            Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
            What's the difference?
            We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

The story behind 169.254 is actually pretty interesting. If it hasn't been configured with a static IP address, or hasn't discovered one via DHCP (which wasn't available in early Windows versions), the machine picks a random address in that 16-bit subnet. There are over 65,000 possible addresses in that range, so in a network with only a few machines the chances of a collision are small. They will then start broadcasting "I'm here" messages. In this way, even without infrastructure (pre-Cable/DSL-router), Windows machines were able to organize themselves into workgroups.

Comment

Well, I learned something today. My company laptop sometimes refuses to get online, trying to pull at 169 IP when I hook it up to the router. I can't do a "release/renew" on that machine because they have it locked down. I usually have to play around with it, rebooting the laptop and/or the router. I'm not exactly sure what I had to do, since it hasn't happened in awhile.

Now, hopefully I didn't just jinx myself and have it happen when I go on call tonite.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

On a laptop you should be able to toggle the radio-silence switch (required by airlines) to force the wireless card to reboot. Nearly all PC laptops have either a physical switch for this or a keyboard combination.

On Macs there is no such thing, but the menu widgets allow turning Airport and Bluetooth off and back on.

Comment

The mother makes me even angrier than the son. Rushing to your son like that, probably like she rushed to her husband whenever someone gave her the slightest inkling of "trouble". Lord only knows how many reps have been bullied by this family. Where do these people come from!?

Comment

Quoth Zero View Post
                      The mother makes me even angrier than the son. Rushing to your son like that, probably like she rushed to her husband whenever someone gave her the slightest inkling of "trouble". Lord only knows how many reps have been bullied by this family. Where do these people come from!?
                      Elbonia. Occasionally much warmer and less pleasant places.

Comment

Quoth Zero View Post
                        <devil's advocate> sounds like the son is a pushy SOB & probably insisted on it </devil's advocate>
                        Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                        What's the difference?
                        We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Working...
                        X