This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New email format?

I received a email to the following (modified to maintain anonymity) email address
    support%randomconferencing...com

has anyone else seen % replacing @? that and I am pretty sure ...com is invalid dns.

I am scratching my head on how it actually got to me!

New one on me. I've never seen that.
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Nope, not valid:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address

Probably the person manually altered the email address so a person could figure it out, but an email harvester program would get stuck.
      There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

The catch is that is the email that is in the headers that the webservers processed..

That was in the TO field....

Comment

Quoth Mamochan View Post
          The catch is that is the email that is in the headers that the webservers processed..

That was in the TO field....
          Those can be spoofed, from what I understand. Probably a spammer or a scammer sending the email. There are ways to find the real address, but I've never looked really hard at doing it.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

IT was a real end user. so it was not a spoofing attempt or anything like that. It really seems that the enduser emailed to that address...

Comment

I just recently helped a user with a similar problem - and found the cause to be what was in the contact record's "Display Name" field - and that one can take special characters. Perhaps that's what's going on here?
              I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
                I just recently helped a user with a similar problem - and found the cause to be what was in the contact record's "Display Name" field - and that one can take special characters. Perhaps that's what's going on here?
                That's what I was thinking of, too!
                Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                What's the difference?
                We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

When an e-mail is sent, the sender's and recipient's address is usually sent in two places - first in the conversation between the e-mail servers (this is called the envelope), and then again in the message headers - but the servers only care about the first (envelope) part, so it's not unusual to see completely different addresses (or even no addresses at all) in the e-mail program than what was actually used to send.

Some e-mail servers will add the envelope addresses to the message headers, but this doesn't always happen, and even when it does, you have to look at the headers specifically to see them (since these headers aren't standardized).

Also, the part before @ in e-mail address can contain almost anything, and be still valid, which is something that many validation scripts don't understand (something like /#&|@example.net is a valid e-mail address).

Comment

Working...
                  X