Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A rant before the top of my head blows off...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A rant before the top of my head blows off...

Dear IT and scanning people at the hellhole I work for:

Here's the thing. When this POS computer system came in, you were trained. No, no just trained, TRAINED. In excruciating detail. You know this system backwards, forwards and upside down, sideways, frontways and inside out. You know what it can do, and why. You know what it CANNOT do, and why not. You even, sometimes, know where the problems are, why they exist, and what it would take to fix them. You were given the virtual and actual controls, as it were.

In contrast, I was, in a sense, given crayons. I was shown how to do basic functions. Not why, not how, just "press this and such-and-such happens." I know some people flip out at having to learn anything new. I was never one of them. I like to learn. All I ask is that I be given some understanding as to WHY and HOW. What I get is "do this." And when it doesn't work, I am told...four years after this system came in...that I am doing it wrong. Even when I do WHAT YOU TOLD ME TO DO.

How do you expect anyone to learn anything when you don't teach them? Osmosis? No, the system is not intuitive. We're on version 14, if you haven't noticed. As soon as I learn one thing, you change it and tell me the new thing is better. It's not. It's still slow as hell, it still crashes, and I never know when one function will cancel out another. If I'm doing something wrong, and you don't tell me I'm doing it wrong, how is it my fault that it's wrong? I am not stupid. I know how to do my job. YOUR job is supposed to be in support of MY job, not the other way around.

In conclusion, I'll just borrow a phrase from Jester.

Fuck you.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

"POS" has more than one meaning, y'know.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
      "POS" has more than one meaning, y'know.
      Oh, trust me. WE know. We know all too well.
      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Sounds like both apply in this situation!
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
          Sounds like both apply in this situation!
          That means it is a POS POS.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I meant the more vulgar meaning, as I don't work in retail. It still handles sales, though, so maybe it still qualifies for that other meaning.

And it literally made me sick. Not the system itself. The frustration of dealing with that and with not having enough people to handle the work. Had to take today off. Dreading going back tomorrow.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
            X