This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now they've broken it altogether.

So now I've checked the two registers on the counter here, which are the pharmacy register and the front store's express register.

Pharmacy register: 52 updates ready to install.

Edit: It's worse than I thought. One of those 52 updates was SP3. This means that it needed 51 updates just to bring it up to the point where I can even install SP3...

Front store register: Still running XPSP2; therefore windows update doesn't even work. Currently downloading SP3 manually. G_d knows how many it's going to need after that.

Edit again: The front store register finished downloading SP3. I go to install it, it takes forever unzipping everything, and then gives me "You do not have permission to update windows. Contact your systems administrator."

Oh well. I guess that one's on its own then. I'm going home.

Of course, these are the last updates these computers are likely to get, because whoever administers our SonicWall has recently dropped download.windowsupdate.com in the blocklist as a Freeware/Software Download site. (Gee, ya think?? ) Now whenever we try to get new updates, it fails with an Error 0x80190193 because it can't reach the server. I'm going to have to have Words with our firewall administrator, if I can even find out who he is.
    Last edited by Shalom; 06-15-2012, 01:19 AM. Reason: added words

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post

Edit: It's worse than I thought. One of those 52 updates was SP3. This means that it needed 51 updates just to bring it up to the point where I can even install SP3...
      Once I had a XP machine tell me it had 20 something updates. That was just to get to a windows update update. After that it had 40 ish more updates, including SP3.

Comment

Here's a big tip that I just remembered. A lot of the time spent during updates is all about making a Restore Point. So if you turn off Restore Points it should go a bit quicker - it also saves disk space.

Defragging might also help. Do that after turning off Restore Points, so there's less data to shuffle.

Comment

Uhm. FYI, the service packs are "roll-ups" which encompass all the interim updates that come before them. (XP SP3 might be an exception.) So you don't have to do all those updates. Probably too late, but...

Comment

As I posted in another thread, I just did a reinstall of my desktop over the weekend. My Install DVD had Vista 64-bit, with SP1 already. After the install was done, I told it to do updates, and it had 121 updates to apply. Thankfully after that there were only 3-4 other miscellaneous updates I had to apply beyond that, mainly for additional stuff I activated.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
              I had to tell them we couldn't update it for them cos the solid state hard drive was 16G and the update was 15G.
              I didn't think XP would even install on a drive that size (given that it's an SSD, I assume that 15G is the size of the entire drive, not a partition)...I had always heard that allowing 30GB just for XP install+swapfile+"you'd damn well better leave 20-30% free space" was the minimum...
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                I didn't think XP would even install on a drive that size (given that it's an SSD, I assume that 15G is the size of the entire drive, not a partition)...I had always heard that allowing 30GB just for XP install+swapfile+"you'd damn well better leave 20-30% free space" was the minimum...
                Well that's what WinFLP is for. I once got a working install on a 2 gig Compact Flash card, just to see if I could.

Comment

Working...
                X