X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home projector setup - opinions?

Hi all

I'm contemplating a home projector set up for home cinema. I'm thinking of something like this for the media section of it, but that's not the hard part.

See, I've got no experience of the whole projector vs screen thing and distance etc. Anyone fancy looking at the following?

This is the projector I'm currently looking at.

This is the screen. Not necessarily going to go with that company, or those models, but I'm up for thoughts.

However, the main element I have concerns about is space. The spare room I'm looking at converting isn't as big as I'd like. It's 3m by 3.6m in metric. The screen I'm looking at is about 2m wide, but the entrance door doesn't half get in the way of the screen.

The long walls are fine, but the shorter walls have the window on one side (not a good thing to have behind a screen) or the door, that opens halfway along the wall, so to go down the long part of room would mean moving the screen every time I wanted to leave the room. The alternative is a diagonal setup to avoid this, effectively the screen across the corner of the short wall not taken up by the door. I reckon I can squeeze that in, with a 'throw distance' of 3.2m at most.

Anyone attempted similar? Any thoughts?

Rapscallion

http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon...ts/specs/12138

Minimum projection ratio is 1.32:1. This means that to fill up your 2.3M diagonal screen, the projector needs to be a bit over 3 meters away. Make sure you account for space behind the screen and behind the projector, and the depth of the projector as well.

Comment

Thanks! Er, just how much over the 3m distance? If it's shorter, it's going to not fill it completely, right?

Rapscallion

Comment

Well, 1.32 * 2.3 = 3.036. That is, I think, to the focal point of the projector, which is probably not far behind the front lens.

But do you *need* to fill the screen completely? Quite likely you can get away with leaving a small border, or even using a slightly smaller screen in a relatively small room.

Comment

I want to immerse myself as fully as possibly whilst ensconsed as comfortably as possible.

Thanks, I reckon I can make that distance in both diagonal and 'cardinal' directions

Rapscsallion

Comment

Rap,

From experience with the Epson projectors, you'd definitely be well served by going up just one model, to the 6100. It's a little bit brighter, twice the contrast ratio, and it's the updated style of 3D, with radio glasses @ 480 cycles rather than the iR glasses @ 240 cycles.

The 6100 also has the advantage of a ratio of 1.3 vs 1.32, so it fits in the 3 meter distance. 1.3x2.3=2.99.

Comment

Thanks Bear - have ordered one of those.

Bit of an expensive day, but it should be worth it.

Rapscallion

Comment

For those interested, I've done a little shopping. I figured a decent seat would be good for the 'man cave' and found something rather nifty.

The despatch email from Amazon reads, "Your Amazon.co.​uk order of "Intex Inflatable 1 Person..." has been dispatched"

Someone thought hard about what to put in there for maximum fun. Quite a bit of the gear involved will be arriving over the next couple of days, and I'm seriously considering a mini fridge. The doctor said no exercise, so no exercise it is!

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                X