This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't scan

My printer won't scan anything. I haven't used the scan function in a while. I wanted to scan some photos to keep on my computer (yeah, I know, hard copy photos, who does that anymore...) but when I put one on the printer screen and hit the scan button, it either does nothing or prints the photo but nothing is added to my pictures on the computer. It's just copying/printing but not storing the image.

I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the printer software. Didn't help. I read that some printers won't scan when the ink cartridge is low (which is weird but apparently it happens) so I put in a new cartridge. I printed and scanned a test page successfully, but it still won't scan a photo.

Opening up devices/printers and clicking on the printer icon doesn't give me a 'scan' option.

I tried Googling the problem and all I can find is suggestions to uninstall/reinstall the software.

Anybody have any other ideas? I have a feeling I'm mising something obvious, which wouldn't be the first time...

It's a Lexmark 2690 if that helps. Nothing fancy but it used to work just fine.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Try looking for the scanner driver. Not the printers drivers but the scanners. That was my problem once on a old printer.

Comment

What scanning software (not print drivers) are you using? Sounds like it may not be properly installed or corrupted. Should probably tell us what OS you are running also.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Ok, you don't have a printer. You have a *combined* printer and scanner (and possibly other functions, I didn't google your model for details)

As such the *printer* drivers have nothing to do woith th *scanner* function. Ditto for the printer menus in your OS.

Go to Lexmark's website and make sure that you have the latest *scanner* drivers for the unit. If the drivers are combined, then just get the latest.

Assuming you have a windows system,. go to control panel and find the scanner/camera section, *not* the printer section.

Check the settings and stuff there.

I can't give you more details because it's virtually certain you aren't using my (ancient) version of Windows so the choices would all be different.

Comment

I've always had problems initiating a scan from the printer, and I know it's in my network security software, but it's such a pain to track down and fix I haven't done it.

Starting a scan from the computer side isn't so difficult. Here's how I do it for my HP printer; your procedure may vary:

Click the start button.

All Programs.

HP folder.

Printer sub-folder. (Mine is labeled "HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910", but yours may be something else.)

HP Scan.

This gives lots of options, and then begins a scan.

You can also copy the "HP Scan" shortcut to your desktop or elsewhere for quicker access.

Comment

Working...
          X