This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics card raising hell

I bought a new graphics card some months ago, under the mistaken belief that my old graphics card had burned out. I discovered later that it was the monitor bulb that had burned out, but by that time I had already installed the new card, and when I removed the old card, I damaged it accidentally, so I couldn't use it again.

This new graphics card is not my ideal card. Some pages look great on it; some look like a badly-scanned paper. This includes, ironically enough, the website for the company that manufactured the card. Or maybe it's poetic justice.

I also kept getting a window popping up whenever I turned on my computer, telling me that the graphics card wasn't compatible with my AMD device driver.

So. I've been on live chat with the manufacturer's employees. I downloaded a program that allowed me to remove the AMD Install Manager, though it still shows up as one of my programs. I installed the most recent version of the card driver. I restarted the computer.

Not only has it not improved, the video playback on YouTube is absolutely HORRIBLE.

I am currently chatting with another employee about this. In the meantime, any advice? The card is an NVIDIA GeForce 210. Operating system, Windows 7, 32-bit. I am enclosing a screenshot of the way Skype looks on this computer - not terrible, but not great.
    Last edited by Eireann; 07-21-2019, 02:35 PM.

Is the driver you're using from the graphics card manufacturer, or from Nvidia?

If it's the manufacturer, I'd download the latest GeForce driver for your card from Nvidia's site. These will probably be newer than those from the manufacturer.

Uninstall the manufacturer's driver, reboot, and install the Nvidia driver.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
      I also kept getting a window popping up whenever I turned on my computer, telling me that the graphics card wasn't compatible with my AMD device driver.

I am currently chatting with another employee about this. In the meantime, any advice? The card is an NVIDIA GeForce 210.
      Of course the AMD device driver won't work - AMD (through its acquisition of ATI) is one of the 2 big players in the graphics card market, and NVIDIA is the other.

One possibility I haven't seen mentioned - what type of monitor are you using (CRT or flat panel)? Since you replaced your monitor, it may have different capabilities from your old one. If CRT, is your new one less capable than your old one (i.e. having to use interlaced mode at a resolution where your old one could run in noninterlaced mode)? You might need to "fall back" to a resolution where your monitor can run in noninterlaced mode.

If flat panel, is the screen resolution you were using before one of the "native" modes on your new monitor? If not, it's going to interpolate, so there won't be a 1-to-1 correspondence between pixels sent by the graphics card and pixels displayed on the screen, and that can look like hell. Try switching your display resolution to a "native" mode of the new monitor.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

It's a flat panel. You're right; first I replaced the graphics card, then I replaced the monitor. What I don't understand is, why would some pages load just fine, while others are fuzzy?

Comment

Is the card connected to the monitor via a VGA cable? That might be causing resolution switching. See if you can get a DVI cable instead. (HDMI may also work, if the monitor and card have that connection.)

Comment

A bad, or low quality cable can do this as well.

I use AMD and Nvidia in my computer without any trouble. The only time I had a bad image was with a cable that had been pulled too hard to one side. I replaced it and the image looked good again. I've found that video cables are a lot more fragile than they look like they should be.

Comment

Stupid question - did you completely remove all traces of the AMd drivers from your system, in addition to the progs?

I just replace a geforce 240 with a much more recent card, myself. Still have the old card laying around, never had any issues like what you described.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I followed the steps to remove the drivers, but the Install Manager still shows up in the list of programs.

Comment

Check your :

- Registry for any sign of anything from AMD
                  - Startup folder
                  - Services (run services.msc as an administrator)
                  - Startup configuration (run config.msi as an administrator)

It's probably in one or more of them. Also, delete the folders containing their software in Program Files (and/or Program Files (x86))

If you haven't done this stuff before, ask a techie friend to take care of it.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I used to use a program called Driver Sweeper for situations like this. I don't think it exists anymore, and the version I have is quite old (2009). I've been looking for a similar program, and I'm wondering if there's anything trustworthy like that around that you could use.

Comment

I already had Driver Sweeper, and I updated it to the latest version and ran it. I've discovered that when I use Google Chrome, ALL websites look bad, whereas with Firefox, it's just some of them.

I just checked; it looks like AMD is gone - so why do I still have a problem with some sites?

Comment

Working...
                      X