This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AHHHHH I may have finally....

killed off most of the malware infecting my PC. I apparently got infected with a browser redirector (after I got rid of the FBI lockdown one). I actually defeated the redirect by going to Google (which it did NOT do a redirect on) and quickly selecting and downloading (before the redirector was able to take over) some nice malware killers and got those up and running and chewing.

NOW I noticed a new "problem".

I plugged in my mp3 (Sony 16G) player so I could charge it and download some new material. I did not really pay attention to it for a while as the player displayed the usual "USB connected. Device will not function" screen message. What I missed (my fault) was the fact that Windows did NOT popup a notice about the device being connected and offer to view the device.

After a while I looked over at the player and saw that the normal battery charging progression icon was not moving (the icon normally will do the 'slider' when charging). HMMMMM no battery charge. I opened up My Computer to see if the player is listed. NO not listed. I opened up the Device Manger and found that all of my Portable Devices (I assume devices like Flash/USB Stick drives, my mp3 player, etc.) have a yellow ! next to them. If I right-click and open Properties I get the following error message

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)
    I am not sure what this means. Any thoughts or help????? I am on Win7 (current and up to date)
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Probably the drivers got borked with the malware removal. Uninstall and reinstall them.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Just uninstalling through device manager will probably be enough. Start with just one, uninstall, reboot, and see if it picks it up itself. The current (known working) drivers are all still there, just the registry (ARRRRGGGGHHHHHHhhhhhhhh!) is flaky. Then do the others.

Comment

Thanks!!!

Will try the uninstall tomorrow.

NOW if I can just keep my system from getting re-infected AGAIN.

Ran MBAM and ADWCLEAN and more stuff appeared. KILLED that stuff off rebooted and ran ADWCLEANER again in Safe Mode and found a few fragments. KILLED those off and now I seem fine for the moment.

Something is getting missed.

Too tired to do anything more tonight

THIS SUCKS.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
          Will try the uninstall tomorrow.
          Good luck.

THIS SUCKS.
          Try doing it for a living.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
            The Masochism Tango
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
              I did, professionally, for a couple of years so I do know and understand. not PCs though but IBM midrange machines. I loved (note partial sarcasm) the people the higher ups in the organizations put in charge of the "computers". Most were great in that they KNEW they did not know what they were doing and needed help. The rest were fucknutz too big for the britches, "I KNOW WHAT I AM DOING" know nothings or in other words knew scant little but thought otherwise.

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                Probably the drivers got borked with the malware removal. Uninstall and reinstall them.
                sorry for the double post. I think the malware borked the portable media so I could not run or install programs from a flash drive which is partial SOP when dealing with some of the more nastier malware/rootkits.

That brings up another thought. (runs and checks the CD/DVD drive)........................... YES my CD/DVD drive is OK

Comment

I did, professionally, for a couple of years so I do know
                  Which I knew and totally spaced on, sorry. (Once again, truly bizarre how parallel our lives have been.)

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                    Just uninstalling through device manager will probably be enough. Start with just one, uninstall, reboot, and see if it picks it up itself. The current (known working) drivers are all still there, just the registry (ARRRRGGGGHHHHHHhhhhhhhh!) is flaky. Then do the others.
                    Did the uninstall and reboot and YES they all came back.

Thanks for the assist.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      The Masochism Tango
                      Hadn't ever thought to look up Lehrer on YouTube - thank you so much, he's one of my favs.

Glad lundar's suggestion worked out Racket.

Comment

one last piece of fallout. IT seems the malware trashed some of my Half Life: Source series (HL1, HL2, HL2 Ep. 1, HL2 Ep. 2) files and I had to reinstall.

DAMN I was playing Half Life 1 and Black Mesa Source (Half Life 1 total remake mod) side by side. Now I will have to replay (not that bad of a deal) up to the point I had before.

Comment

SOMEHOW my Half-Life 1 reinstall got fucked up.

I now have the science staff groaning and moaning and screaming like they are being attacked by a headcrab when they are still fully alive and following me. The Barney's are all fucked up and will not follow directions or follow me and keep uttering random Barney lines. If I pass over a dead person (rag doll) the voice over screams in pain.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Comment

Working...
                          X