This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU overheating

I've been playing FFXIV lately on my PC, and before that I was in a Dragon Age/Mass Effect kick. During the Dragon Age playthrough, I had a couple of instances where my computer would just lock up, to the point where I couldn't alt-tab and had to hit my reset button to get it back to normal.

Now FFXIV is doing the same thing. I suspected overheating issues, so I downloaded some temp monitoring software (HWMonitor) and watched it. Ran at around 40-50 degrees Celsius idling and up to 80 when in game (same thing happens when running Prime95 to test the CPU under load). The processor is an AMD Phenom II X4 955 quad core.

Here's the funny bit. It maxes out at 80C when I am pushing the CPU after a reboot (hard reset, Start Windows Normally, or with a safe shutdown and restart). But, if I sleep the computer (as opposed to shutting it down) and wake it, let it settle down after waking, and then push the CPU (either with the game or Prime95) it will spike up to over 100C (highest was 110!) and then eventually freeze and force me to restart if I don't immediately stop all programs and allow the system to cool.

I've gathered that my system is generally running hot overall, even when idling. I've blown out all the dust and even removed the heatsink and made sure to clear out all the little grooves in it to ensure good airflow to the processor. But it still runs hot. I am taking it to the shop regardless, even if it's just for a ride in the car, just in case they want to look at it, but I plan to just buy what I need and fix it myself if possible. My friends on FFXIV that are pretty techie say that it sounds like the processor itself is dying and that it's not just a simple cooling problem, though it might also need a reapplication of thermal paste. They believe the processor itself is to blame because I mentioned that a couple of years ago I slightly bent some pins when I accidentally removed the processor when attempting to just remove the heatsink. They believe it was damaged at that time, not enough to cause issues at the time, but enough that it is now dying an early death, and this might explain why the processor is operating differently under different conditions (fresh start vs. waking from sleep).

I guess I just wanted to see if that theory holds up to anyone on here. I'm going to the shop tomorrow regardless and will run it by them, but the way my mind works, the more people that agree on what the problem is, the more confident I'll feel in fixing the issue myself. The plan is to buy a new processor/heatsink/fan and thermal paste if necessary and just replace the whole thing. But if someone thinks there's a bigger issue, I'm interested to hear what you guys think.

As a side point, I don't use the paraffin wax that usually comes attached to the bottom of a new heatsink. I scrape it off and use Arctic Silver instead, which *doesn't* have a habit of yanking the CPU out of its socket if you ever decide to lift the heatsink. Any improved thermal properties that Arctic Silver might also have are of secondary importance.

I will say that 100C is *definitely* too hot, and 80C is also very high. I also have a 955 (actually a 555 with the extra two cores unlocked) and it never gets that hot. What type of heatsink are you using, and how good is the airflow in the case?

Comment

I once purchased an nVidia gs8600 video card, and saw that it was running hotter than expected a few times. I simply removed the fan from the heatsink, reapplied thermal paste (also used Arctic Silver #5), reapplied everything, and it ran much cooler.

Comment

I'd certainly take chrom & emax's advice and do a "clean reinstall" of the processor.

As for your question - yeah, 'fraid so. Probably one of THE hardest hardware faults to track down is thermal fracturing or shorting - basically an area of the electronics that spreads apart or (more often) swells together as temps change. So the machine runs fine until a certain temp is reached. Don't know that I've ever seen it in a processor though. Double check the standoffs in the processor area and make sure they keep the backside very well clear of the case even.

Comment

Something else to consider.. do you smoke? Perhaps the fan has been clogged with cigarette smoke or just dust and dirt in general. Consider wiping those clean as well.

Comment

Ok, just got back from running around town and got the computer hooked back up.

The problem? Just needed a new application of thermal paste. He had me bring in the computer so he could see what was going on. The paste was all powdery and dried up and the heat sink was no longer making proper contact with the processor. He cleaned the old paste off the heat sink and processor and applied Arctic Silver, then hooked it up in store and the temps were already WAY down. Didn't charge me for any labor or anything, just the paste, and I also bought a couple of case fans to add and boost the airflow for a little more cooling (previously only had the outflow on the back of the case and the tunnel thingy attached to the inside right above the processor; these fans add inflow on the side and front), brought it home, and have actually been playing for an hour and the temp hasn't gotten above around 60 Celsius.

I was prepared to spend however much to get a new processor. Thrilled it actually survived all that overheating and I got off way cheaper than I expected! (The extra money was immediately spent on dinner and fancy new yarn at the yarn store. Whoops.)

Comment

Yipee! Glad it worked out for you, and glad it didnt cost anything.

Comment

Ticket: Closed.
                Resolution: New yarn.

Glad you got off cheap K. And hang on to your tech, he's a keeper. Maybe a knitted item is in order?

Comment

Working...
                X