This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloud vs Dropbox

My computer is starting to do funky things and I'm thinking maybe I should store some stuff so I don't lose everything AGAIN when the HD finally goes to data heaven.

I've heard of things like Google's Cloud and Dropbox ... just wondering what CSers' experience of those (or any similar site) has been? I can't afford an external HD at the moment so if I can store all this stuff somewhere out in the ether that would be great.

Thanks for all advice and suggestions.

My roommates and I use dropbox. Its easy and simple to use. Never heard of cloud. We use it to share files on our 3 computers. Easier than using a usb device of some sort. And it can be hooked up to smartphones.

Comment

Well... I use Dropbox. I love that I can take pictures with my phone and have them automatically show up in my Dropbox storage.
      There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Cloud seems to be a Google concoction; supposedly you can store stuff on Google's own infrastructure.

Where's the actual storage space for Dropbox?

Comment

"Cloud storage" is a generic term for online storage that can be accessed anywhere more-or-less seamlessly, from any computer with the site name, username, and password. (The "cloud" being a euphimisim for a server farm or for the internet itself)

Dropbox is a modified form of this. It stores the files online, but it also copies them to each computer associated with that account that is connected to the internet, in real time. If a comp is offline/turned off, the local copy of the files gets updated when they come back online. We use Dropbox at work, and hey, it works for us. One nice feature of it is that it actually stores "deleted" files for a month or so, so you can get them back via their website, if needed.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I use both Google Drive and Drop Box. I've used Google Drive the longest and sync any and all documents I don't want to loose there. I has worked great for years. I've been using drop box more for images and its great for when I collaborate on projects, or to stuff images that I want to work on later, but not sure which computer Ill be on.

Comment

Working...
            X