Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux machine won't come out of hibernation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"How could you possibly think typing 'import skynet' was a good idea?"

Quoth mjr View Post
    @Deserted

Running ls -l /dev/sda* gives me the following:

brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 0 Jul 1 07:17 /dev/sda
    Okay, looks like no defined partitions. You'll need to create some to make it useable, either with gdisk as I mentioned previously, or a GUI tool, which your system no doubt has at least one installed somewhere.

Quoth mjr View Post
    running mount | grep '/sd' just sent me back to the terminal prompt.

I'm reluctant to go past that, since the mount command didn't return anything.
    That's... interesting. No output at all? Try running just 'mount' and see what you get. If you're only using the SSD, then yeah, no sd* devices would show up. Time to break out the optical grep.

Or you can look at /etc/mtab and see what's listed there. (It's an automatically generated file that the system uses (or used to, anyway) to indicate what's currently mounted; 'mtab' = 'mount table'.)

Quoth mjr View Post
    I do know that my previous version (this current version is 20.04 on a custom built computer) allowed for > 2TB, because I had a 3TB drive with no issues, I just don't recall what I did to get it to show up.

Although I might have missed something earlier, because I ran fdisk -l again, and noticed this:

/dev/sdc1 (this is a 4.62.9GB drive, the type is listed as Linux)
    /dev/sdc2 (2.9G, type is listed as "Extended")
    /dev/sdc5 (2.9G, type listed as "Linux swap / Solaris")

But I also see this:

dev/sda (this is a 5.47 TB drive)
    dev/sdb (this is a 2.75 TB drive)
    dev/sdc (this is a 500 GB drive)
    The layout of sdc is an example of what a typical single-disk install can look like, with sdc1 the root directory and sdc5 the swap partition. Did you perhaps upgrade from sdc as your primary hard drive to the SSD as primary? Regardless, sdc5 might be in use as your swap partition.

As for making the drives appear in your file manager as separate drives... I don't know. That is so far away from my standard practices that I don't know anything about it. If it's important to you to have them show up that way instead of mounting them the traditional way (which I described previously) you may want to ask in an Ubuntu forum somewhere.

Gah. Ubuntu does things so oddly.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Working...
    X