This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIOS Woes

Well, since this forum finally got off the ground, let me post the first (real) issue here. The situation is as follows:

I recently flashed my BIOS to a years-newer version that was supposedly able to boot about 10%-20% faster and provide native support to the USB peripherals and 7-in-1 floppy/media reader I have. Unfortunately I didn't notice the readme down at the bottom of the page saying "Don't use the standard tool, use OtherToolDOS" until AFTER I flashed and had already clicked 'restart'.

On reboot it was giving me an error that boiled down to 'No OS on any boot devices. WTF?' I checked the BIOS setup and discovered that it was only seeing my RAID array, not the physical drive that has XP-Pro on it. With some tweaking I discovered that turning off the native RAID controller will let the system see the OS drive, but it will only recognize either my bulk-storage RAID array OR the independent volume with my OS on it, but not both.

Any suggestions on how to reverse... Well crap, I feel even stupider now: DOS Bootdisc Floppy + OtherToolDOS/BIOSv1 Floppy = (hopefully)

UPDATE
    YES! It worked like a charm! Once I made sure it was fixed, I installed the version listed for 'If it's older than this one, use OtherToolDOS to update to this first', then used the regular, in-windows tool to update to the version I wanted.
    Last edited by JustADude; 06-22-2007, 02:03 PM.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Well, it's no good asking if you figure out the solution yourself
    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
      Well, it's no good asking if you figure out the solution yourself
      I know, I know... but I wrote 'reverse' it knocked something loose upstairs and I didn't want to waste the typing I'd done.
      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

consider yourself lucky. most people are not able to recover from a bad flash.

Comment

Quoth volatile View Post
          consider yourself lucky. most people are not able to recover from a bad flash.
          You can say that again! That BIOS isn't changing again, ever!

Comment

Hey, sometimes all you need to sort out a problem is to talk it out (or in this case type it out) Plus, the information may be useful to someone else down the road.
            GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
            X