This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Startup Items Not Starting Up

This happened a few days ago, after I did some updates and trimmed out some old files, etc. My new AV, which I'd just installed, popped up and blocked a data-execution for winsrv32.exe, and I approved it since I know what THAT particular thing does, and it ain't good. After that the files in my registry's 'execute on startup' directory (not the startup items folder) stopped working.

I got my AV to auto-startup once more, but I have to manually start my firewall, and several other things, like the LCD support for my Logitec G15 keyboard, have to be launched manually as well from the command line.

Suggestions?
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Quoth JustADude View Post
    Logitec G15 keyboard
    Cant help ya, but :drool: That is one nice keyboard!
    The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Go to Start->Run and type in msconfig and make sure "Normal Startup" radio button is selected in the General tab. Also check the Startup tab to see if the processes that you are looking for are set to start up. If they are not listed then I would say to find out what the executable files or dll files are needed to load specific programs and edit your registry settings. To edit your registry setting go to Start->Run and type regedit and then navigate to this location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

Comment

You got a message for winsrv32.exe? You need to clean your computer. You're infected. winsrv32.exe is not a normal window's system file.
        I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

http://www.liutilities.com/products/...rary/winsrv32/
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I got rid of winsrv32.exe which, like I said, I KNOW is a problem... and that's when things started screwing up.

It's on Normal Startup, and everything is listed in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run, but it's not coming up.
            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Damn.....Don't know how to solve that prob...But can I have your keyboard?

Just read the thread...I may have an answer soon..
              "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

Okay, I think I might've figured out what's wrong. Somehow, and I don't know how, a hypen ( - ) got put in front of some of my startup items in the CurrentVersion/Run folder. I deleted the hyphens, but I haven't rebooted yet, since I'm about to crash for the night anyway, but I'll let you guys know tomorrow if it works.

Even if it does, how the bloody hell did those things get screwed up like that in the first place? My only guess, since among the things hyphened were keys related to the virus I just discovered (deleted those entirely), is that the removal tool incorrectly identified legitimate items as part of the infection when it disabled them.
                Last edited by JustADude; 07-12-2007, 07:33 AM.

Comment

The virus might have done that in an attempt to disable virus scanning?
                  Quote Dalesys:
                  ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Indeed, it was probably the virus. But then again, random files get corrupted if the HDD has issues. Not usually something like that though. I believe in reformatting the HDD once every couple of months. I usually get bored on a Friday, grab a few beers or other yummy liquored beverages, and play my DS or watch TV while the computer does its magic.

I believe that is the easiest way to clean a virus... and it gives your system a fresh start again anyway.
                    Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                    Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                    The Office

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
                      Indeed, it was probably the virus. But then again, random files get corrupted if the HDD has issues. Not usually something like that though. I believe in reformatting the HDD once every couple of months. I usually get bored on a Friday, grab a few beers or other yummy liquored beverages, and play my DS or watch TV while the computer does its magic.

I believe that is the easiest way to clean a virus... and it gives your system a fresh start again anyway.
                      That's the thing, though, it all worked fine up until the point I got rid of the virus. *shrug*

I haven't reformatted since I got the thing a couple years ago, but then again I use a good registry cleaning/fixing tool and have some programs (a suite of stuff from Dachshund Software) that help keep my system stable and fix crashes.

Comment

I believe that I've read that some viruses do cause issues and screw up your computer when you delete them.

Time to do the reformat dance! *gets out of chair and tries to do a stupid dance, clumsily falls over own feet, looks around to make sure no one noticed, then sits down with red face...*
                        Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                        Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                        The Office

Comment

Working...
                        X