This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me again!

No, this time it's not a problem, but I'd like some suggestions.

I'm trying to put together a wish-list for a new rig, since my current tower is at a point where I'll have to gut it and replace all the most expensive components if I upgrade ANYTHING else and I'd rather pay the extra to end up with 2 working rigs.

The list is pricey, but it's what I need in order to get a significant (key word) upgrade in performance beyond what I have now.... though hopefully the prices will come down by the time I can actually afford it in 6 months or so.

Here's a LINK to the setup, since apparently trying to post the pieces with links to each part makes vBulletin shit a brick.
    Last edited by JustADude; 07-23-2007, 10:22 AM.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Dual-Layer DVD +/- RW w/ lightscribe? (Yes, there are some out there).

Get tons of colling, too.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

A $3000 computer with only 2 gigs of (cheap) ram?

That seems a little odd... I mean, you're going to spend that much for everything, at least bump up the ram to 4 gigs...

And holy crap, SATA 3.0 hdd prices have dropped!
      Last edited by Shabo; 07-23-2007, 02:28 PM.
      Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
      Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
      The Office

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
        Dual-Layer DVD +/- RW w/ lightscribe? (Yes, there are some out there).

Get tons of colling, too.

Hmmm, true. Slower burn-speed is worth being able to do DL-DVDs. *goes to update list* EDIT: Looks like those LITE-ONs already have DL and LS capability.

As for cooling, it comes with a front and back 120mm fan, a 250mm fan on the side, and smaller fans on top and back to get plenty of air-flow. It's also a HUGE case, so there's no crowding.

However, I'm thinking about scrapping the Thermaltake Armor and going for a Lian-Li tower from Koolance with a LC system already installed, (LINK), but there are 4 reasons I haven't already (aside from Newegg not having them available to put on the wishlist):

1) I'm nervous about Water + Computer
        2) I'm REALLY nervous about disassembling the graphics cards to get the fans off for the switch
        3) It makes my head hurt trying to figure out exactly which type of cooling blocks, nozzles, etc, to add to it
        4) I don't know if I need the 1000W heat-dispersion or if a 750W rating will do, which is a difference of a few hundred bucks between the comparably-sized towers.

Quoth Shabo View Post
        A $3000 computer with only 2 gigs of (cheap) ram?

That seems a little odd... I mean, you're going to spend that much for everything, at least bump up the ram to 4 gigs...

And holy crap, SATA 3.0 hdd prices have dropped!
        Actually, it's 4x 1GB sticks, but they're sold in 2-packs, so it's 2x2x1GB... and that was supposed to be some much better Corsair RAM. Must've clicked the wrong item to save to the wishlist. Thanks for spotting that.
        Last edited by JustADude; 07-24-2007, 12:39 AM.
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

That's much better, you had me worried there.

Don't fret too much about disassembling the graphics card for the water cooling system. It's not all that hard. I swapped out a stock heatsink on my old vid card for a better one, and I had no problems whatsoever.
          The Office

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
            Don't fret too much about disassembling the graphics card for the water cooling system. It's not all that hard. I swapped out a stock heatsink on my old vid card for a better one, and I had no problems whatsoever.
            That still leaves the sticker shock (which is passing), the frustration over trying to figure out the dozens of parts I need, and whether I should get a 750W-rated heat dispersion system or spring for the 1000W-rated.

Also, think I should spring for the 1.2KW power supply with internal, non-reactive, liquid cooling? LINKY I'm hoping that the 2x (3-plug) SATA cables means that it's 2 modular cables with 3 plugs each, which will be exactly what I need, otherwise the thing is a no-go.

Oh, one other problem, Koolance says it doesn't have anything compatible for the Voltage Regulators according to its hardware wizard, and the N.Bridge, S.Bridge, and Regulators are all heat-piped together, so if I LC one I need to LC all of them. Suggestions?
            Last edited by JustADude; 07-25-2007, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Hmmm....

I've never done liquid cooling. But I wish you luck!
              The Office

Comment

Working...
              X