This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC to TV help needed

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who's been helping me with the Media PC project. It's coming along little by little. The media center PC is pretty much done, just doing some fine-tuning. The server is mostly together, but still needs all those little PITA power connections hooked up.

I tried the media PC on a spare TV, and it worked just fine, except for one irritating thing -- no color. The video card is a GeForce 7300GT, with S-video output, which I connected to the TV with the included S-video to composite adapter.

To make sure it wasn't a problem with the TV, I hooked the cable box to it, and it was fine. I then connected the PC to my TV, and again, no color.

Interestingly enough, if I connect my TV using the S-video without the adapter, I get color. That's fine for this TV, as I was planning to use the S-video anyway, but I was planning on building PCs for the two other TVs in the house, and neither one has S-Video.

Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Quoth MadMike View Post
    Interestingly enough, if I connect my TV using the S-video without the adapter, I get color.
    Hate to tell you this, Mike, but I'm pretty sure it's a problem with your adapter.

If you mean the actual graphics card, make sure your drivers are up and all that. Otherwise, it's probably a hardware problem if it's not up on the tech help on the mfgrs website.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

I'm sorry I don't have time to get you any links right now, but what you're going to be looking for for the others is called a "scan converter". Google for that, and you should get enough hits to get you going. It's about $90 per unit. Had one, used it for a while, upgraded TV and computer, and have no need for it anymore (and am not sure I could find it, as it's in the garage somewhere after our move).

Comment

Check today's Woot. It may solve your problem and add more functionality.
        Bears are bad. If an animal is going to be mean it should look so, like sharks and alligators. - Mark Healey

Comment

I second an adapter problem. I was using a DVD/VCR combo unit on the S-Video connection to my TV, so I had to use a Radio Shack S-Video to composite adapter when I first hooked up my HTPC, and didn't have a problem with color.

The DVD/VCR combo bit the dust soon after (kept blowing fuses for some odd reason), so I have the HTPC hooked up to the S-Video connection now.

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
            Hate to tell you this, Mike, but I'm pretty sure it's a problem with your adapter.
            Looks like you nailed it. I picked up an S-video to composite cable at Radio Shack, and it's working fine. I guess the one they included with the card was a piece of junk.

Like I said, it's not needed for this setup, but it's nice to know it will work for the TVs that don't have S-video.

Thanks anyway.
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
              Looks like you nailed it.

<snip>

Thanks anyway.
              Simple diagnostics, Mike.

Glad it worked, though.
              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
              X