This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth MadMike View Post
    This is the processor that's in the server. I can't tell if it's 64-bit or not, I don't see anything in the name (except maybe the 640) that indicates that it is, and I don't see anything in the specs.

I don't see anything in the instructions about installing it under Ubuntu, but if you think it will work, I'm willing to try. The ones mentioned in the manual are Fedora Core 3, Red Hate Enterprise 3, and SuSe Linux Enterprise Server 3. It also mentions FreeBSD if that helps. Thankfully, since it's just a server, I don't need to worry about trying to get a whole lot of different things working -- pretty much just the RAID and the wireless network.

I just got back from vacation and might not be doing much today, but I definitely will contact you soon. Hopefully we can get this working without having to spend more money than I already have.

I got a reply back from Highpoint, the company that makes my card, and they said that I should be able to use all the space under 64-bit XP, 2003 (which I think is another name for Server), or Vista. At least I have some options if we can't get it to work thru Linux.
    Okay, lots of little notes for you, so bear with:

First, that *is* a 64 bit chip, so XP64 should work (clicked on the link, clicked "Specifications", down the page, "64 bit support" has a "Yes" beside it).

2003 = Windows Server 2003, so that is an option as well.

Finally: The versions of Linux listed there are *old*. Fedora Core is currently at version 6 or 7, which places their listing as about 4 or 5 years old. RedHat Enterprise Linux has been at least 2 years now at version 4, might even be at v5 right now. Suse Linux Enterprise Server is at version 10 right now.

Believe it or not, this is good news. The way Linux (and drivers) usually work means that most every versions supports most everything, in one way or another. And if you're looking at something 3 years old that was fully supported 3 years ago, then all of the distributions have it by now. This means that Ubuntu will handle the drive just fine, 99% guarantee (I never give 100%, because Mr. Murphy and I are such good friends).

Comment

OK, it all sounds like good news so far. I thought those sounded old, because my son has been playing with various versions of Linux, and I remember a little bit here and there from downloading various iso's for him.

Thanks for all your help. I'm just about settled in (finally!) so I'll probably be trying to contact you within the next few hours.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

also if you need any help with ubuntu add my msn address from my profile.

Comment

Quoth Forgreatjustice View Post
          also if you need any help with ubuntu add my msn address from my profile.
          Thanks for the offer. And I guess that explains the penguin in your avatar.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
          X