X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a laptop

I didn't want to hijack the other thread

My ancient (12-13 year old ) Dell laptop has finally had it. This thing was given to me by one of my coworkers. Trust me, it's a POS--tiny hard drive, the network card drivers are corrupt, and since there's no CD drive, there's no way to reinstall them. Can't download them, since without the card...

Anyhoo, I'd like to get something better. Most of what I'll be doing is keeping track of my grandmother's finances, occasionally using it with my digital camera, and possibly playing some GTA now and then. Since Grandma lives about 60 miles away, it's not exactly practical to be constantly moving my desktop PC back and forth. It probably won't be on the 'net much, except when it's at home--she lives in the sticks, where dial-up is considered *fast*

Software, I can handle, but as to some of the newer hardware...it's over my head Any help is appreciated.
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

As all new PCs come with Windows Vista, best to stick with the PCs that have at least 1GB of RAM or more.

Now, as far as CPUs if you weren't playing GTA any CPU would do, but seeing as you might occasionally game on it, get a Core2 Duo. However, avoid the PCs that have the T5250 and the T5450 - those CPUs are less than 1.7GHz and after all, it's 2007 not 2003. BTW I'm not an Intel fanboy but reviews state that right now, AMD has nothing to counter them with.

Another thing is the video card - since the graphics in a laptop isn't upgradeable most of the time, it's best to get the best one you can find. Nvidia has the 8000 series out for notebooks, for gaming, try to see if you can fit an 8600m GT in your budget. Keep in mind you can go with a lower-end video card but you may have to reduce the in-game settings otherwise you might get lag.

Finally, once you get your brand new laptop uninstall that cruddy Norton or McAfee and download the free edition of AVG or Avast.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I've heard good things about Toshibas and IBMs regarding hardyness, drop the puppies and they still work.

I've personally got a Dell Inspirion and I've had it for 3 years, about...works great. I can actually play an old 2002 game on the builtin video card.

Suggestion: Goto www.fatwallet.com and start sniffing out for hot deals on laptops. I bought my laptop w/ a $700 coupon! it cost me 800 in the end, Really.

Get the best hardware you can NOW since most of it is difficult to upgrade (except ram). Watch for multiple USB holes, since mine only has 2 on backside it's a pita to plug things in.

DVD burner would be sensible, look for wireless a/b/g/N (thats newest one).

Not everything is Vista- Dell does sell XP with some of their stuff.
      Take a look @ refurbished lappys, you can get some good deals there.

Shop around, dont just look @ the stuff in Costco/ Best Buy. Also invest in a Laptop cooling stand, and a 2nd battery.
      Why 2 batteries? One keep charged, 2nd one for trade out. Alternate batteries to reduce wear & tear.

Keep eyes open!

Cutenoob
      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Also, be expected to spend some money on this thing. You don't want to get the cheapest laptop available, especially if you are going to be gaming on it. Get at least 1 gb of ram, more if possible. More ram= less lag in games (and general operation of the computer). Bigger isn't always better, too. The bigger the screen, the heavier the laptop. If you are looking for something because you want it to be completely portable, smaller is better and lighter. I have an IBM tablet, and I love it. It weighs about 4 lbs and has a 14 inch screen. It costs more, but I know it's going to last me a long time. Plus it came with a 3 year warranty. Most laptops don't come with one that long unless you pay extra money.

Look around, keep your options open until you find a great deal that you can't pass up. And if you find anything worth looking at, feel free to post links here so we can check it out for you.
        Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
        Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
        The Office

Comment

Thanks! Right now, I'm just looking. Since I have a Best Buy card (no interest for 6 months), it looks like I'll be buying it there...unless I find a better deal.
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I can guarantee you right now that you WILL find a better deal elsewhere. BBuy is a ripoff. Check out tigerdirect.com, newegg.com, and do some searches around froogle. It will always be cheaper to buy something through the internet since their overhead costs are significantly lower than a brick and mortar store.
            Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
            Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
            The Office

Comment

Working...
            X