This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connection Problems

I bought a new laptop and it has internet access built in. For some reason, I can't access it. I also bought a wireless router. Is there something I forgot to do?

I made this post from my family's computer. Just wanted to clear up any confusion over how I was able to make the post.
    My Fanfic Page
    My Fiction Page
    My Social Group
    My Pet Social Group
    My You Tube Channel

Unfortunately, we're going to need more information than that. Can you tell us anything else? Which OS do you use? Are you trying to access a wired connection or wireless? Is your computer seeing the wireless connection or do you have to enable it?
    Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
    Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
    The Office

Comment

I have a Gateway laptop that has Windows Vista. The computer has the option of being wireless or wired. The internet page does show up. It says that I'm not connected though so something must be missing.
      My Fanfic Page
      My Fiction Page
      My Social Group
      My Pet Social Group
      My You Tube Channel

Comment

What is your ISP?
        How are you paying to connect to the internet? (cable, DSL, broadband wireless *clearwire* ) etc?

how is your home internet connection wired?
        wall----cable out from wall---------cable modem--------router------------computer1

That's mine. how's yours set up?

What browser are you using?

Cutenoob
        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

PM!

PM sent, check your box!
          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Here's another thought on that:

When I was setting up my laptop to work with my wireless network, I had to enter in the WEP Key (Wireless Encryption Protocol.)

Do you have one for the modem? If not, that may be why you can't connect.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Where would I find the WEP key? Would be with the instructions that came with the laptop or would it be somewhere else?
              My Fanfic Page
              My Fiction Page
              My Social Group
              My Pet Social Group
              My You Tube Channel

Comment

Quoth purplecat41877 View Post
                Where would I find the WEP key? Would be with the instructions that came with the laptop or would it be somewhere else?
                The WEP key is like a password for the wireless network, and would be listed in/on whatever you're trying to connect to. Some brands have a unique WEP Key hardwired into each router, and those are listed on a sticker on the bottom of the physical object. The rest you have to go into an Administration Page (PortForward.Com has all the info you'll need for that on pretty much every router in existence) and set it yourself.

Either way it sounds like a modem problem, not a router problem, if your computer thinks the connection is fine but things still aren't loading.

A lot of modems, especially Cable Modems, are MAC-Encoded when you register it with the ISP, so switching the modem from the original device would make it stop working properly with the ISP's servers. A good router will be able to fake a different MAC if you can get it off whatever machine used to run into it (PortForward.COm again. If that doesn't fix the issue, call your ISP's tech line and ask them for help.
                Last edited by JustADude; 08-18-2007, 06:12 AM.
                ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                X