X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• regarding computer pop-ups

DAMN POP UPS

They're coming up even when my browser is not open, after i've done full spyware/adware/virus scans on SEVERAL scanners (I use Adaware, AVG AntiSpy and AVG AntiVirus, Yahoo AntiSpy, and I scan MULTIPLE TIMES)

I deleted all my temp internet files.

I completely wiped out all programs I do not use.

AND it's STILL going slow and I'm STILL getting pop ups.

I use Firefox, and sometimes they'll come up as IE windows!

I know it's a virus/spyware/adware problem. Not the sites I go to, because I rarely go anywhere 'fishy'. I scan and scan, do full scans and quick ones in each program several times. They always catch stuff too.

And it's STILL not working.

I'm getting really pissed. What should I do?
    "I, too, am saddened by the lack of hookers in this thread." -LingualMonkey

How are you doing these scans?

Safemode? or normal mode?

Usually the best course to take is to try Safe Mode scans first, and then Normal Mode scans.

Also, give this a shot.

http://www.hitmanpro.nl/hitmanpro/co...w/3/9/lang,en/

We used to use it on some of our customer PC's when I worked in Tech Support.
    "The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts." - Steven Wright

Comment

Oh cool, let me try that now.

I'm using a quick mode, then running a complete scan afterwards, like you said.

Let me try that link, and I'll update you when it's done...

gimme like 5 min

Comment

There is only one scan that will catch it, definitively, since it sounds like you've been hit with a rootkit. A rootkit is supremely nasty, since it embeds itself into the operating system, hides itself from scanners, and can literally be impossible to detect by any program on the machine.

The one scan that has a chance? Get a separate machine that you know is clean. Get all the anti-spyware/etc installed. Remove the hard drive from the problem machine, and put it in a USB enclosure. Attach said USB enclosure to the new machine, and now run your scans, just pointing them at the USB drive. You'll probably be surprised by what comes up.

Comment

Crap.

I'm not super technical... this is a 2 year old laptop, and I can't replace it for several months anyway...

maybe i can get my friend to do it

Comment

Have you tried going under Tools, Options, Content? There's a box under Content you can check to block pop up windows.
            My Fanfic Page
            My Fiction Page
            My Social Group
            My Pet Social Group
            My You Tube Channel

Comment

while the pop ups can probley be blocked the underlieing problem will still be there.

there are ways to get rid of the root kit with out removing the harddrive but its a bit technical.

if you have msn add me from my profile and ill try and help you out.

Comment

Hey, thanks everyone for your help.

I THINK I found the problem. I feel rather stupid too, it was a very well known popup virus in my system, and having used that HitmanPro, most notably the spysweeper program on it, worked like a charm.

Thanks, guys!

Comment

glad you got it and it wasn't anything really bad.
                  good luck in the future.
                  and may i sugest running tea timmer?
                  it alerts you when anything ads it self to your startup list
                  its packaged with spybot S&D

Comment

It sounds like you have "Vundo." Here is the writeup from bleeping computer about it and the two tools which will get rid of it:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic18610.html

Oops sorry didn't read where you've gotten rid of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X