This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Media problem

I sure hope someone knows the answer. I am having a problem with my DVD-RW drive not recognizing any CD-R's. It will burn DVD+R just fine though. The problem started when I bought downloadable music from Walmart.com (I know, I know, never again)
    The first time I did it, I had the problem. An error message sent me to this help page: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...x?&id=80070422
    I followed the instructions and it worked. So I make another purchase thinking I know how to fix the problem and this time it didn't work. It's not just in Windows Media either, I can't even burn data in Sonic on a CD-R, only on a DVD+R.
    I've since done a system restore, back to a date before buying from Walmart.com I've also uninstalled whatever Wallmart installed and I'm still having problems. Anyone know? I swear, I will never buy downloadable music in wmv format again.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
    ~Clerks

And this is why I don't do online music stores. They're worse than Pr0n sites for messing with your computer, and because of the ToS you have to sign, you've given them the right to do whatever it is they did.

Not being there to see the computer, I can't offer concrete advise, but the first thing I'd try is uninstalling your burner programs, running a registry-repair program to clean out broken entries, and then reinstalling the software. Also, reinstall any drivers available for the drive from the company that made it.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
      Not being there to see the computer, I can't offer concrete advise, but the first thing I'd try is uninstalling your burner programs, running a registry-repair program to clean out broken entries, and then reinstalling the software. Also, reinstall any drivers available for the drive from the company that made it.
      Is it possible that whatever she installed may have screwed up the drive's firmware? I'm not sure how to fix something like that, but maybe someone else here does.
      Sometimes life is altered.
      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
      Uneasy with confrontation.
      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I did a firmwear update this morning and that didn't seem to have any effect. I even called the help desk at walmart.com and neither the first person nor the supervisor had any clue what the problem was. And both swore their service has no effect on any part of the computer except the copy protection of the wmv in media player. He had no clue why every application for buring data wouldn't all of a sudden not recognize just a CD-R.
        I know the issue began with the music purchase though. The media I'm using worked fine before this, I don't download illegal music and the drive recognizes DVD+R and CD-R with data written to it. I'm at a complete loss.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
        ~Clerks

Comment

Quoth SuperB View Post
          I did a firmware update this morning and that didn't seem to have any effect.
          What's the actual model-# of the burner? I'll do a little digging to try and find out the problem, or you can just type the model into Google along with a keyword like "problem", "glitch", etc and see what comes up.
          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Also if there's still no joy after the registry repair you could grab the files from a friends XP system and put them on your system.

Just Start > search > All files and Folders > Type Imapi in the box and hit search.

I found two sets on my system here of Imapi.exe and imapi.sys, grab a copy each of those files and transfer to your system (floppy, e-mail, USB key or MP3 player)

On your system go to C:\Windows\system32 and copy the exe file there then find the drivers folder and place imapi.sys in that (you'll probably get a warning about overwriting existing data - you want to)

Now try it
            Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Working...
            X