This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Problem

I am having the strangest problem with my computer. I am not getting any video signal from the video card at all. It's not the card; I swapped it with the card in my wife's computer (identical cards) and it works fine in hers. Hers is not working in mine either. It's not Windows, it's booting normally; I can hear it. And when I switched over to the onboard video, everything's fine, so it's not the monitor. This setup has been working for months with no problems, until this morning. Again, everything booted fine; just no video signal. I tried Gateway tech (non)support; they told me when I install a new video card, I have to disable the old drivers in Windows. Never mind I told them twice that this was not a new install, but something that has been working fine for months until this morning. So they're came up with take it the store I bought it from. Which I suppose I might have to do, but I thought I'd come here and see if anyone has any ideas.

To sum up, sometime between midnight and 5AM, while the computer was turned off, the motherboard and the video card decided to stop talking to each other. I can get by with onboard video, but that's not conducive to game playing.

Sorry for the long run-on paragraph, but I'm still a bit frustrated. Especially when I asked to be transfered to a Tier 2 tech, hoping to talk to someone who I hoped would understand me.

--Dave

(hoping not to come off as a SC)

Sounds to me like a problem with the motherboard, like maybe something's wrong with the slot you put the card in.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Sounds like there's a physical problem with the socket.
      Try switching the video card to a different socket if you can and see if that works.
      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Unfortunately, it's the only slot. It's annoying, since it's been working fine since February. Luckily, the rig's only 11 months old, so hopefully I'll be able to get the "authorized service center" to take care of it. If I go that route, I hope there's no problem with my keeping hold of the hard drives. I'd hate to lose my data, and I'm paranoid about sending it away. Also, would there be a problem with the fact that I added a sound card, wireless card, and replaced the power supply (new video card needed more power than the installed 300W)?

--Dave

(Cool avatar, Mike!)

Comment

The add-ons shouldn't be a problem if they were in place for more than a few days before the problem started. Here's the universal rule of thumb for troubleshooting, though:
          When in doubt, take it out
          That means, if you think the component might be causing you problems, remove it from the equation and see if the rest of the setup works.

Following that rule, and assuming that (as you said) no software has changed, my suggested fix-attempts would be as follows:

#1: Switch which power connector(s) are hooked up to the video card.

#2a: Remove Sound Card and Wireless.
          #2b: If it works then, replace first one then the other to see which one it is.

#3: Go take it to the ASC and have someone who can do hardware fault-testing look at it.
          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
            The add-ons shouldn't be a problem if they were in place for more than a few days before the problem started. Here's the universal rule of thumb for troubleshooting, though:
            When in doubt, take it out
            That means, if you think the component might be causing you problems, remove it from the equation and see if the rest of the setup works.

Following that rule, and assuming that (as you said) no software has changed, my suggested fix-attempts would be as follows:

#1: Switch which power connector(s) are hooked up to the video card.

#2a: Remove Sound Card and Wireless.
            #2b: If it works then, replace first one then the other to see which one it is.

#3: Go take it to the ASC and have someone who can do hardware fault-testing look at it.
            Guess I'll have to go with number 3, then, since I only have the one slot, the one power switch, and the sound and wireless (and video) have been in for 7 months with no problems. Guess I'll have to talk to them and see if I can bring it in without the new power supply and new hard drives I put in. Or do you think that will make me have to pay out of pocket at a normal repair shop?

--Dave

(Thanks for the help, btw. I appreciate it)

Comment

Hey, Dave, I might have some good news for you: It doesn't sound like a major issue, and not even a difficult fix.

Here's what it sounds like to me: Somehow, the computer changed video settings to use a non-supported resolution by your monitor. Not all monitors will report that the resolution is out of range, either. They'll just go black (this is especially true with older non-LCD monitors).

The fix? Depends. Can you hook up to a different monitor and get that work? For instance, will your wife's monitor work if hooked up to your computer? If so, connect up to that monitor, and open the Display settings in Control Panel, then follow instructions at the end.

If not, you're going to have a harder time. Basically, you'll need to either get Remote Assistance, or Remote Desktop, working. Actually, another alternative: Use TightVNC to get things connected. What you're looking to do here is be able to view the desktop from remote, whether or not the monitor is showing anything. Once you've got that (using any of those three methods), go to the Display settings in Control Panel.

Now, you're going to have to explore a bit, since every video card has their own way of setting things up. What you want to do, though, is go for stupidly low resolution, and one of the three standards resolutions: 640x480, 800x600, or 1024x768. Furthermore, set your number of colors as low as possible.

Now for the exploration part: Search through the settings until you find the vertical display frequency, also called refresh rate. This will likely be under the Advanced button. Set it to the lowest number available, usually 60Hz. Apply all of these changes, and your monitor is likely to work again.

Now, you can adjust the settings upward, but only one at a time (for instance, adjust the resolution, and apply changes, then color, then refresh rate). Save the refresh rate for last, and set it as high as possible. After you hit Apply, the screen may go black on you. Don't worry if it seems to stay that way, since Windows is asking if you want to keep these settings. If you don't click Yes (or hit Enter, or Space, etc), it will revert back, and you can experiment some more.

I've glossed over some of the details, mainly because I don't do this all the time, so don't remember all the details off the top of my head. I hope this is enough to help, but if it is not, PM me or IM me (details in profile), or post here, and I'll respond.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                Here's what it sounds like to me: Somehow, the computer changed video settings to use a non-supported resolution by your monitor. Not all monitors will report that the resolution is out of range, either. They'll just go black (this is especially true with older non-LCD monitors).
                My thoughts....
                1) If he's able to see the POST\Gateway splash screen on startup, then it may be a resolution issue, although I've always found the easiest way to fix it was to lower the resolution in Safe Mode:
                When starting the computer tap the f8 key after the first beep, keep tapping till you get to the startup menu then arrow down to safe mode. Once Windows starts right click anywhere on the desktop that's not an icon and choose Properties> Settings> crank the slider down to 640x480 and click apply (if it's already there then nudge it up a bit click apply then back to 640x480 and apply) restart normally and see what happens.

2) Something else that's worth doing is to reset the BIOS, just in case something's been altered there. I don't know how to get to a Gateway BIOS so check their site for info, once you're there you should have a "reset everything" option - just follow the instructions to do that.

3) Get the latest drivers for your motherboard, it's vaguely possible that Windows can't speak to the card properly due to corruption, once again check at the manufacturers site for downloads and instructions.

That said, from what you've described, I'm leaning towards a hosed PCIe slot
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Sounds like a BIOS problem to me. Shouldn't you have to disable the onboard video in order to inable the video card. I think that the BIOS reverted back to the original setting. if you boot to the onboard video what is your clock saying, ie is it reading accurate. If it has a fucked up time than the battery took a crap on you and reset everything to factory specs.

This should be a simple but slightly daunting task.
                  My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Update: Haven't done anything yet, my AC crapped out on me too and that takes precedence in the money line. I have a very limited BIOS (stupid Gateway motherboard). There is NO option for disabling onboard video. There's an option for disabling audio, but not video. I even flashed the BIOS to the latest version and nothing. I think the slot just fried on me.

--Dave

Comment

Um, I hate to be a bummer, but wouldn't you have voided your warranty by opening your case to install new PCI cards? You might want to check on that. If that's the case, then you are definitely going to have to pay for it... if they find out that you've been inside the case, that is. And since you have non-Gateway cards in there... well, good luck trying to come up with excuses for that one.

(I build my computers myself so I don't have to worry about that whole pesky warranty thing. You sound like you might have enough technical expertise to do it, too.)
                      Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                      Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                      The Office

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
                        Um, I hate to be a bummer, but wouldn't you have voided your warranty by opening your case to install new PCI cards? You might want to check on that. If that's the case, then you are definitely going to have to pay for it... if they find out that you've been inside the case, that is. And since you have non-Gateway cards in there... well, good luck trying to come up with excuses for that one.

(I build my computers myself so I don't have to worry about that whole pesky warranty thing. You sound like you might have enough technical expertise to do it, too.)
                        Yeah, probably did. I used to build my own machines until it was no longer cheaper to do so. But, onboard video sucks, so I had to get a better card. Of course, the power supply wasn't big enough for the card, so in a new power supply went. The onboard audio was using too many CPU cycles, so I put a sound card in. I moved the machine to another room in the house, got tired of looking at the blue cable draped across the floor, so went wireless. And I put another hard drive also, just because.

And I'll just end up taking it to a local place, since I'm sure the "authorized repair center" would just swap another box for mine, and I'm kind of attached to all my data, and wouldn't want to see it go away (and maybe have someone else mucking about in it).

--Dave

Comment

What kind of processor do you have, are your HDDs IDE or SATA, and what socket-type are Memory and Video Card?

Depending on what they are, you might be able to get a replacement Mobo for ~$50, which will likely be better than the PoS the Gateway came with, and about $5 for a tube of thermal paste to use when re-attaching the CPU and heatsink. After that, it's just a long slog taking the guts out and putting it back together, with the fiddly little wires to make the lights blink correctly being the toughest part.
                          Last edited by JustADude; 09-13-2007, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Quoth Dave0523 View Post
                            I am having the strangest problem with my computer. I am not getting any video signal from the video card at all.
                            Let me make sure I have your troubleshooting tree down.

NO software/hardware changes between last working and not working.

NOT the card. (Works fine in another machine.)

NOT the software. (Booting with onboard video works.)

NOT the resolution from the OS. (I assume you tried cranking this down while you could see the machine in operation while using the onboard video. Also, you didn't mention seeing a BIOS splash, I assume a completely blank screen all during boot with video card?)

(Speaking of which, are there any POST beeps indicating that the BIOS can't find a video out when the card is in, or is that negated because there is an onboard vid chip?)

Hate to say it, but sounds like the slot took a dive. It can happen. If you're gonna take a run at the ASC, I would move all my data to the extra hard drive you mentioned and take it out. Might want to switch back the PS too, if you still have the old one. Make it as close to original spec as possible and see what they say.
                            Good luck!

oops! Forgot one. Do you use the same signal cable when going from onboard video to monitor that you use from video card to monitor?
                            Last edited by sms001; 09-13-2007, 06:34 PM. Reason: Forgot a component.

Comment

Quoth Dave0523 View Post
                              There is NO option for disabling onboard video. There's an option for disabling audio, but not video. I even flashed the BIOS to the latest version and nothing.

The big manufacturers will have removed this option from the BIOS after hard experience. Too many dumb users set it to yes then phone up to complain when the solution is to either buy a graphics card or pay to have it shipped backed as a non-warranty repair.
                              Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Working...
                              X