This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB problem

my router hub was playing up and not connecting so my mrs called teh etch support where they played around with the USB drivers etc....

After that NO usb port works on my pc....i have 6 on it -
    2 off the MoBo
    2 wired into a front panel
    2 on PCI card

So unlikely to be hardware failure..

I built this machine myself and am pritty good with alot of stuff both hardware and software....but this has me beaten

I have tryed uninstalling the hubs and re-installing
    Doing a restore
    Pulling teh PCI and checking its seated properly

Im using XP Pro

Any ideas?

Cheers
    We are the willing, led by the unknowing, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful, we have now done so much, for so long - for so many, with so little, we can now do anything with nothing!!!

Only thing I can think of is to un/reinstall the USB drivers in Windows.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

dumb question warning!!

OK how i do that i have uninstalled via device manager and re-installed but with no joy....if this is another meathod please tell me how to do it

Thanx
      We are the willing, led by the unknowing, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful, we have now done so much, for so long - for so many, with so little, we can now do anything with nothing!!!

Comment

anything??

Comment

Can you please describe problem in a more thourough manner?
          Can you post any Event Viewer notes here?
          Can you explain the correlation between router and usb issue?
          (why would a router have anything to do with usb?)

I don't understand your problem, to be honest, and to fix an issue, it needs to be understood.

What is not working?
          When did it start not working?

Cutenoob
          In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
          She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Seems like you'll have to download the drivers from the maker of the mobo and the PCI card. Go to their websites and then their "drivers" section.

Comment

go into the device manager (control panel > system > hardware > [device manger])

look for anything in the list with a big yellow and black exclamation point.
              DILLIGAF

Comment

Quoth Lehk View Post
                go into the device manager (control panel > system > hardware > [device manger])

look for anything in the list with a big yellow and black exclamation point.
                Do the uninstall in safe mode, then reboot.
                Quote Dalesys:
                ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

*disclaimer*-I am not in any manner technically inclined-I am only posting an experiance I had with one of my computers-

I bought a digital camera and everytime I plugged it in it was no recognized by the computer-I gave it away thinking "well it must not be compatable"-until the day I accidently hit f2 during startup and ended up in the BIOS screen-which clearly showed USB ports-off and about 3 of us had spent over 4 hours each to try to get the thing to work...
                  Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

As Blaq has pointed out....Go into your BIOS & ensure they're enabled
                    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

thanx guys

Problem sorted......busted her open and found burnt out capacitor on the usb 2 circuits....pci ran through same capacitor (small pci card wired to mobo circuit)

bought stand alone usb 2 card and all is now well

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X