This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to start?!? (help)

Ok, so I know enough about puters to get me into trouble, and I'm smart enough to know that if I'm not absolutely sure of what I'm doing I don't do anything. That being said.......

I would really like to know more, however, I don't have a clue where to start. Can anyone recommend a website/book/magazine/whatever that can get me started with the basics?

By basics, I don't mean "ok, on the front of the computer is a button. This is the power button. press to turn the computer on."

I'm talking basics of how to get the computer running faster...definitions of some of the more technical jargon, how to build my own compter sort of thing.

I keep trying to find a place to start but I can only seem to find things along the lines of "can't change the date/time" Or "has a computer engineering degree"

I guess I'm looking for something that is basic without being condescending, but written for someone with more than 2 brain cells to rub together.
    I'm just me. I like it. Stop trying to change what I like!

I suggest springing for a course in the local community college. Skip the Computing Basics course and go for one like Intro. to Operating Systems or an XP Support course.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Unfortunately, the single best thing you can do to learn more about computers is to break them, and then fix them. The problem is finding new and inventive ways to break them so that the "experts" around you ask: What the hell? How did you do that? Why did you do that?

Now, since nobody ever asks "How can I break something?", what I said above sounds stupid. However, it's not, when you consider part 2: Ask "What can I do that will interest me somewhat?" For instance, for me, computers are fascinating. I can do most anything on them, and not be bored.

For many people, a challenging enough task for a beginner would be to set up a web server of their own. And I don't mean the personal web server that comes with XP. Install either Internet Information Server (IIS) or Apache. Get it configured. Get it working. Get it to the point that you can post information, and have your friends read it. Get it to the point that it can run some simple scripts on the server (whether you write them, or use scripts others have written, is irrelevant). By the time you get that done, you'll be surprised at what you've learned.

While you're working on that, ask questions. I'll help (I'm always willing to help out someone who's looking to learn). So will others. And, I promise, you'll meet the first thing I said above, when something gets broken in that installation, and you'll have everybody around you scratching their heads

Comment

Quoth DragonRose View Post
        I guess I'm looking for something that is basic without being condescending, but written for someone with more than 2 brain cells to rub together.
        As odd as it'll sound with the highlighted part above, check out the Dummies books. The computer Dummies books that I've read have not only been hilarious but informative.

Build your own computer for Dummies is a good. I believe I've read that one.

For "basics of how to get the computer running faster." if you're talking OS software (disk defrag and such) then go with PCs for Dummies. If you're talking hardware (memory upgrades and such), then Fixing and Repairing PCs for Dummies.

While the titles can be insulting, I've found that the books are a great level for those who know enough to know they COULD be dangerous. (Okay, so how was I supposed to know that user accounts on Win 98 was a bad???)
        SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
        SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Another good series is the O'Reilly series. (Self-interest disclaimer: I'm published by them).

They're mostly aimed at techie types, but they're generally written by very, very knowledgeable people, and their editors bully us into writing clearly, concisely, informally, and in detail. If you go to a major bookstore and look through their wall-of-O'Reilly, you'll probably find a book on the subject you're after.

Alternatively, Safari is a good way of browsing a lot of useful books. It's got a free starter, last time I looked.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Seshat, that is incredibly cool! Any chance you could point me to your book(s)? I'd love to be able to read something and say that I at least have messaged with the author

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
              Seshat, that is incredibly cool! Any chance you could point me to your book(s)? I'd love to be able to read something and say that I at least have messaged with the author
              *gives one of those sweeping bows*

I'll PM you.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                Unfortunately, the single best thing you can do to learn more about computers is to break them, and then fix them.
                *ahem* <raises hand>

Guilty, on multiple occasions.

On the plus side, I know about most of the inner workings of a PC now.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

That's how I learned, and I got quite proficient at saving Windows installs no one else could save from it.
                  "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                  - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Heh. The "break and fix" philosophy is where I get most of my skill at software. Nothing like "Whoops, hmm, that driver update's made things worse, now it won't start up..." to learn what you did wrong. And that also is why my hardware knowledge is lacking more than a bit >_<
                    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Years and Years ago my dad gave me the best computer advice I've ever recieved to date. Mind you he was a computer programer at the time and was for about 20 years until he retired. He learned on Mainframes and wrote code in obscure languages that you would rarely see anymore. He is a true antique

He told me that there is very little you can do to actually damage the machine past the point of no repaire. Sure you can screw up the OS or a program. But you can always Nuke it and start from scratch. And yes, there are some things you can do now a days to "brick" your system. But that is so rare and far between you should be very safe.

On building/working with the guts of a computer. I would pickup an older working computer. Examine all the connections, examine all the components. And then take that Mother F**ker apart. Gut it all the way to the frame. Now that you have about 3 bajillion parts laying in front of you put it all back together again. Does it work, make it work. After a while of this you will have a good understanding of how to set a CPU, how to properly Seat your RAM, how the Power supply connects to the drives, and how the case connections connect to the mother board.

And since you are doing this to an older computer that you've picked up for free or on the cheap if you do hose it up or decide to smash it with a hammer, everything is OK.

Run into trouble ask. Alot of folks on here deal with both ends.

I used to build alot of computers for work. And stripping one to fix another is no problem for me. I haven't done it since they introduced SATA and ESATA drives and P4's and the like so I'll admit I'm a little rusty. But while the components may change, the concepts remain very similar.
                      My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Don't feel bad, digilight, they really haven't changed much since then. Oh, except XP doesn't come with the drivers for SATA... so that's fun to install... and the Core 2 Duos from Intel have no pins (brilliant idea from them!), but other than that, no really big changes.

Courses are a good way to get that introduction. Local community colleges tend to have more hands on experience within the classroom than bigger universities, unless it's a tech college (I would hope, anyway). Also, the dummies books are, from what I've heard, an excellent way to learn. They do have insulting titles, but they are filled with really great information and are funny. Also, I've found that PCWorld, the magazine, usually has one or two good "Fix up your windows" articles every month. They also have product reviews for many different areas, like cameras, printers, and things of that nature. It might be worth picking that up every once in a while just to take a peek. There are also tons of websites that have good articles on how to tweak different programs in windows.

I also operate most of my knowledge based on the "oops" model. Although, I'm not the one making those big mistakes since I fix software problems for my job, but that's how I fix my computer anyway. My next personal challenge is to try to install Mac on my computer. I'm not sure it will work since the motherboard hasn't been tested for it yet, but I'm going to give it a shot. I just need to get my hands on a copy of the OS first...
                        Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                        Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                        The Office

Comment

Working...
                        X