This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard drive health

For a while now, my computer has been making "noise." What kind, you ask? Well, I know they aren't the normal ones. I can't really describe the noise. I also can't pinpoint it.
    Sometimes is sounds like a very soft, very high-pitched grinding. Maybe. It's just really hard to say.
    I opened my case so I could pinpoint it, and that didn't work. For all I know, it could be a fan.

The question is this: Is there a program (hopefully free) that I can install that could check the state of my hard drive?

I've searched on download.com and other places, but didn't quite now what to ask for.
    Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Something to detect "bad sectors" might work, but it does sound like you might just be getting a squeaky fan.
    ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
    And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Well, might be just a squeaky fan, but (having had too many hard drives die on me) I would be buying another hard drive about now, backing up the existing one to the new, and stopping the worry

Comment

Quoth Knightmare View Post
        The question is this: Is there a program (hopefully free) that I can install that could check the state of my hard drive?
        With HD prices being what they are, I just regulate "suspicious" drives to less critical roles. That said, you might try searching for "S.M.A.R.T." and utility together. The one I used to use was actsmart? activesmart?, something along those lines. You might also try the support areas for your particular brand of hard drive... Maxtor has MaxBlast, Hitachi had DFT, etc.

Comment

Unfortunately it's not free, but Spinrite is pretty good for catching sectors that are going bad.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

A simple chkdsk can tell you if your hd has bad sectors. You can run one in Windows without restarting by opening your command prompt (quickest way is start menu -> run -> type in "CMD" and click ok) then type in "chkdsk" and if it asks you if you want to run it on startup or not, you can decide. There are other ways to do it as well, but that's probably the fastest.

There are other utilities that you can download, but I just use chkdsk myself. It also helps repair problems if there are any that can be fixed.
            Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
            Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
            The Office

Comment

Knightmare, can you describe in more detail the sounds?

When do they start - when computer is booting, during a big file transfer, during a hot game?

Have you opened the case and listened for the sound and tried to pinpoint it to a section of the chassis?

Click of Death is a term we use to describe an unhappy hd. You can HEAR it CLICK CLICK during seek times. Means its about ready to give up the ghost.

If you are concerned, purchase new drive and put your info on it.
              Oh, btw, how old is this drive in question?

Cutenoob
              In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
              She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
                Knightmare, can you describe in more detail the sounds?
                Just a quick addendum to Cutenoob's excellent advice - a cardboard tube (Like from paper towels) or even a rolled up magazine can really help you zero in on something in a crowded case. As an added bonus, you will look like a complete dork kneeling next to an open, running, computer with a primitive stethoscope.

Comment

Working...
                X