This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrupted .jpg picture files - Help!

Between bad memory and Windows problems, my documents folder got corrupted.

I backed up my wife's work files on my notebook, and the music I can get back from my CD's.

The problem is my pictures - last backup I did was in 2005. They show the correct size, but won't show a preview or open in any photo program. I tried GetDataBack that my former place of employment had, but no luck.

Is there any way to get these files back, my new baby's pics especially? Any help would be appreciated.

Is this trying them on another computer?

If you want, send me one of the corrupted pictures. With an example, I can if it works on my machine. If not, I can try to find a program to make it work again.
    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

What are you using for graphics programs. I've had good luck with Photoshop being able to open images that other software reports as being corrupted. Also if there is any chance, Graphic Workshop Professional will allow you to convert from one format to another and you can batch process as well. Of course you still have to be able to open the images.

Also, what type of file extension are you showing. This is important if the extension changed than some programs won't be able to view it. The image might still be fine, but the program is seeing it as something else. If the extension is wrong, try changing it back to JPG and see if that works.
      My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, but it's the last 2 weeks of college.

I've tried opening them on another system, no luck. I'll download a demo of Photoshop at the college and give that a try, if not I'll take up technical.angel's offer and send one of the pics.

I know my wife's a bit upset, but, I'm so busy now...It'll have to wait 'till Friday.

Comment

Bit upset?

Do I hear understatement?

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post
            Bit upset?

Do I hear understatement?
            That's not the half of it. I'd thought she'd kill me when I told her.

Anyway, how do I send you one of these photos? Photoshop didn't do a thing for me...

Comment

Quoth RichS View Post

I know my wife's a bit upset, but, I'm so busy now...It'll have to wait 'till Friday.
              teehee. BIT upset. Bits... corrupted files. Get it???

Comment

Okay, I've been tossing programs at the picture, and so far nothing's working. Anyone else have ideas?

Comment

Maybe Pixrecovery? It's not free, but if it works, it will be worth it. This one is US$150... but most data recovery software will cost you. You can try a free demo, which might allow you to recover something like 3 files before the demo expires.

Good luck!
                  Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                  Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                  The Office

Comment

I just got done trying the PixRecovery demo on a few pictures - no go.

So, it looks like I've lost them. But, there's some good news - I found a free recovery program that works on memory cards. I used it to recover the deleted pictures on my SD card, so I got a few of the pictures that were lost. None of the new baby, though I got smart and printed those out before all this happened.

Hmm...maybe I'll try that program on the messed-up pictures and see how it goes. Can't hurt...

And thanks to everyone for at least trying. I really appreciate it.
                    Last edited by RichS; 12-12-2007, 09:32 PM. Reason: Spelling...

Comment

Working...
                    X